Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveJaVous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2017
I currently don't own any Apple devices and was wondering if it makes sense to get a MacBook, iPad and iPhone.

I have a fairly beefy Windows desktop which I use for gaming and compute-heavy tasks like Photoshop/Lightroom and MatLab for school work, but it's a desktop so it doesn't satisfy my needs for access to a computer anywhere I go.

I want something where I can type up school notes after classes while still at school, or wherever I may be which is why I felt like the 12" MacBook with i5 would be a good choice. I chose the i5 over the m3 processor because I usually have a lot of internet tabs and programs open with research pages and documents, so I just wanted that little bit of extra "oomf" so my multitasking experience will fairly smooth.

Secondly, I'm contemplating a 128GB iPhone 7. I always have my current phone (Samsung Galaxy J5) with me but its storage is lackluster and can perform very slow and laggy at times. I've read elsewhere that 32GB can fill up fast so 128GB is the next size up, and should be plenty enough storage.

My most uncertain purchase would be the 128GB iPad mini 4. I can't /really/ think how often I'd use it, but I will be working a day or so a week in my math department helping the teachers and younger students in classes. The iPad would be perfect to show geometry and graph drawing in an intuitive and interactive way and so on, but I will only be doing this kind of work for a year as I'll be off to university after, so I don't know if the purchase is justified. Do I /really/ need one? What can I use it for after next year for, which can't be done with the MacBook or iPhone? What do you use the iPad for?

What do you think about my decisions? Is it worth investing $3000 into Apple or should I look for windows products instead? What do you think about buying an iPad, in conjunction with the other products? Is it justified?

Thanks for any insight you can provide,
Dave.

Hawaga

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
In your situation Macbook + IPad are overlapping in my opinion.

I would suggest choosing either of the following:

MacBook Pro 13" + IPhone

Or

iPad Pro + IPhone.

iPad Pro is enough for school notes and geometry graphs and such.

MacBook Pro could serve as a replacement for your PC (photoshop and such) as well.

Anyway if you still buy a Macbook + iPhone + an iPad mini 4, just sell the iPad mini when you don't have a use of it anymore...

Reactions: DaveJaVous

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Macbook Pro is the best choice for college but depending on your major and budget, you may be better off with a cheap Chromebook. I was mildly paranoid about damaging, losing, or getting my MacBook Pro stolen in college.
iPad is a fun toy but not necessary. I usually end up playing games on it rather than being productive.
Consider the iPhone 7+ and you are verging into not needing an iPad but you may still want one. It depends on your budget and your needs. I also get by fine with 32GB on my phone. I have a ton of music but only put my favorites on my phone. If you have a lot of pictures/movies then you might want more space.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I use all of them.
Phone:iPhone 6,as phone,music player and some web browsing on the go
iPad: Air 2,web browsing,gaming,watching videos,light photo editing when on the go
Mac: MacBook Pro 13 inch,for the same,but with more power

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
No need for the iPad with the desktop computer at home. I would either get an iPad Pro or the 12" MacBook, but not both (wouldn't bother with a Mini).

If you can, you should wait 4 months for the next iPhone iteration.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I have a powerful desktop PC (no video card), 12" MacBook, iPad Air and iPhone. I take my MacBook to work and prefer it to lugging around a thick ThinkPad to meetings. My iPad fits in for when I am at home, on the couch or in bed. After my PC, the iPad is my most heavily used device at home so I will probably upgrade to the 10.5" soon.

Last edited:

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
No need for the iPad with the desktop computer at home. I would either get an iPad Pro or the 12" MacBook, but not both (wouldn't bother with a Mini).

If you can, you should wait 4 months for the next iPhone iteration.
Well,the iPad is better when travelling,and can be used on the go. It's also a great kid entertainer during long car travels.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Sure, but I think having iPad + MacBook 12" + iPhone is a little bit excessive in terms of electronics owned.
As I have the 13 inch MacBook Pro,I guess my iPad cannot do everything the laptop does. Photo editing on iPads is ok,but no iPad can connect to a Wacom drawing board,which I prefer for more complicated photo/video editing. Besides,there are other graphic intensive stuff that won't work well with iPads.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I currently don't own any Apple devices and was wondering if it makes sense to get a MacBook, iPad and iPhone.

Test drive a MacBook keyboard before buying. See if tolerable as it is quite different.
32GB iPhone would likely soon fill up.

DaveJaVous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2017
So I've done a bit more research into what my needs are and I have to make some decisions, and would really appreciate your opinions on my choices and help me decide between what MacBook to get, and what iPhone to get.

MacBook
Space Grey MacBook 12" 256GB with i5 upgrade (£1339)
or
Space Grey Macbook Pro 13" (No Touchbar) 256GB (£1449)

iPad Pro
Space Grey iPad Pro 10.5" 256GB + Apple Pencil (£709 + £99)

iPhone
Space Grey iPhone 6S 128GB (£599)
or
Black iPhone 7 128GB (£699)

I'm ok with the port situations on the MacBooks, and I'm not interested in an old refurb model either. A few hundred on top of £3k isn't a whole lot of difference in my eyes.

Thank you with all your help so far :)

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
So I've done a bit more research into what my needs are and I have to make some decisions, and would really appreciate your opinions on my choices and help me decide between what MacBook to get, and what iPhone to get.

MacBook
or

iPad Pro

iPhone
or

I'm ok with the port situations on the MacBooks, and I'm not interested in an old refurb model either. A few hundred on top of £3k isn't a whole lot of difference in my eyes.

The only thing I would change is to get the MacBook Pro. Everything else is fine.

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Which iPhone should I get?
I personally am getting an iPhone 7Plus Jet Black 128GB. At this point get the color that you prefer in the largest capacity you can afford. In the case of mobile device storage, more is just enough.

DaveJaVous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2017
I personally am getting an iPhone 7Plus Jet Black 128GB. At this point get the color that you prefer in the largest capacity you can afford. In the case of mobile device storage, more is just enough.

Would it be wise to to get the 6S for that fact it comes in space grey or is the 7 vastly superior?

Scorcher

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017

MacBook
or

iPad Pro

iPhone
or

I agree with you about the ipad. As for the macbook , you need to decide what is more important to you: extreme portability (macbook) or more power ( macbook pro).

As for the iphone, I suggest that you wait a few months. In September the new ipones will come out and than you can either get them or buy the iphone 7 with a discount.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
If possible you should wait until iOS 11 is released, later this year. This iteration will redefine how many people use their iPads, and to a lesser extent, their iPhones. With iOS 11 you may find that an iPad or iPad Pro really can replace a laptop. As it is now, I would seldom recommend choosing an iPad over a laptop; iOS is an awkward and somewhat toothless substitute for MacOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.