Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yanasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
Just switched from a 2018 Macbook Air to a Macbook Air M2 and my Apple Thunderbolt Display cannot be detected - screen is totally black.
I've tried most of the fixes and tips I found online, nothing worked for me. Anybody knows if there is a compatibility issue with the M processors? I've tried both M1 and M2 macbooks and none of them detects the external display. I then plug in my old macbook and everything works fine. Any tips? I don't want to change my monitor, my apple thunderbolt display (2015) works perfectly for me!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just switched from a 2018 Macbook Air to a Macbook Air M2 and my Apple Thunderbolt Display cannot be detected - screen is totally black.
I've tried most of the fixes and tips I found online, nothing worked for me. Anybody knows if there is a compatibility issue with the M processors? I've tried both M1 and M2 macbooks and none of them detects the external display. I then plug in my old macbook and everything works fine. Any tips? I don't want to change my monitor, my apple thunderbolt display (2015) works perfectly for me!
Mine worked fine with my M1 MacBook Air and the Apple TB2-TB3 adapter. Could your adapter be dead?

Have not tried it with my M1 Pro machine and macOS Ventura, however.

Yanasp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
Mine worked fine with my M1 MacBook Air and the Apple TB2-TB3 adapter. Could your adapter be dead?

Have not tried it with my M1 Pro machine and macOS Ventura, however.
The adapter works fine with another setup at the office. Wondering if it is a Ventura-related issue.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
MBAir M1 and macmini M1 working great with apple thunderbolt display for me with apple thunderbolt adapter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.