Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahhhyeah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

I've gone through a couple of batteries and bought the latest one of eBay. Not original.

It was working ok, but then the mac started turning off (assumed run out of battery) when it was still showing20% or 30%.

So, I tried doing a SMC reset

i.e.
  • Shutdown the MacBook/Pro and remove the battery
  • Disconnect the power adapter, hold the Power Key for 10 seconds
  • Release the power key and reconnect your battery and power adapter
  • Turn your Mac on
  • Let boot as usual

But after that, it's been behaving weirdly
(Also, recently I updated to OS 10.13.4
I don't know if that has played a role)

Now, it's behaving in the following ways

Sometimes, when I wake it from sleep (after the top has been closed a while), the sign in screen (with my name and place to enter pw) is all blurry. I enter in pw, and it freezes trying to login

So I reset using the power button. It restarts, then sometimes restarts again automatically (i.e. restarts twice).

After that, I can login, but things seem a bit sluggish. Then, the computer will just turn off (no warning) with the battery at more than 50% (this is when it's only running battery and not power cord).

Any ideas?

Is there a good way to determine what the cause is (if SMC, or if it's the latest OS update, or something else)?

Also, another thing to mention is that the 4 feet on the bottom have come off (the last ones when I was doing the SMC reset). Could the fact it's sitting on the bottom bit of the casing, and possibly putting pressure on cables or something inside, create a problem?

I know there are 3 variables here:
SMC reset
OS update
Pressure on bottom of case
(and also maybe bad battery)

But if anyone has any ideas on how to diagnose what the problem is or any solutions would be much appreciated

Thanks

ahhhyeah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
It might be a bad battery or something. Try using an official Apple battery if you can.
Thanks Skywalker. I'll try a new battery soon (in a country where batteries, let alone official batteries are very hard to come by).

Do you know of anyway to check if it's the battery creating problems (the system report i.e. apple sign > system report) says 'normal'. Option > Click on power = normal

Or any other ideas?

Could a SMC reset have created these problems??

Thanks

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Thanks Skywalker. I'll try a new battery soon (in a country where batteries, let alone official batteries are very hard to come by).

Do you know of anyway to check if it's the battery creating problems (the system report i.e. apple sign > system report) says 'normal'. Option > Click on power = normal

Or any other ideas?

Could a SMC reset have created these problems??

Thanks
I'm not too sure to be entirely honest. Batteries aren't something I usually think about or research. Try googling the issue and see if anyone else is having the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.