Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ait Lhadj Achraf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2020
I have macbook pro13" 2017 and one day I turn it on it look like this what i should do
e38P059HoV8.jpg

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
I have macbook pro13" 2017 and one day I turn it on it look like this what i should do View attachment 919125

I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro 2017 too.

See below.

when did yours start to have the issues.

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
Follow this. Many of us facing issues with backlight in Macbook pro 2017 models, Apple doesn't seem to bother..
There were same issues in 2016 model that was covered by their service program.

md haque

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro 2017 too.

See below.

when did yours start to have the issues.

me also facing the same problem suddenly from yesterday....
dont know what to do... tried all the options as suggested in Internet..

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
Follow this. Many of us facing issues with backlight in Macbook pro 2017 models, Apple doesn't seem to bother..
There were same issues in 2016 model that was covered by their service program.

yes, exactly same problem. i believe that this is a hardware problem that is faced by 2017 models too.

me also facing the same problem suddenly from yesterday....
dont know what to do... tried all the options as suggested in Internet..

It is not going to help. I had tried all means. I strong believe this is the same issues as 2016 macbook pro.

need to go thru apple only can get fix it.

my country the apple shops are closed still, so i could not send in to them and demand for a fix. I had sent in my macbook pro to an authorised apple service centre to check, they run some diagnosis test on my macbook, and told me that there were nothing wrong with my macbook including display or graphic card. worst part i could not simulate the problem on the spot. as this problem will recur over time, sometimes back to normal, sometimes the flickering problem recur.
they said if i insist need to fix, i need to leave my macbook there for deeper diagnosis test and this will incur cost. and if replacement display needed, it will cost a lot too.

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
yes, exactly same problem. i believe that this is a hardware problem that is faced by 2017 models too.

It is not going to help. I had tried all means. I strong believe this is the same issues as 2016 macbook pro.

need to go thru apple only can get fix it.

my country the apple shops are closed still, so i could not send in to them and demand for a fix. I had sent in my macbook pro to an authorised apple service centre to check, they run some diagnosis test on my macbook, and told me that there were nothing wrong with my macbook including display or graphic card. worst part i could not simulate the problem on the spot. as this problem will recur over time, sometimes back to normal, sometimes the flickering problem recur.
they said if i insist need to fix, i need to leave my macbook there for deeper diagnosis test and this will incur cost. and if replacement display needed, it will cost a lot too.

That's insane.

I took my macbook pro 2017 model to apple service centre. They claim that it could be the same problem but its not covered in the service program. The damage is 45-50K INR (~600 USD), so either I need to pay to get it repaired or I could wait. If at all in future Apple decides to extend the program to 2017 models, it will be covered. It doesn't make any sense to me especially during these times when we are so dependent upon these devices due to WFH.

If Apple knew the problem and fixed it in 2018, why did they not include all the affected models. Apple is losing its credibility very fast. Most of us buy Apple products assuming they are quality products. Now, I know so many Macbook users facing the same issue with 2017 models.

Any thoughts what can we do to bring it up to Apple management? I am sure none of us would want to pay a hefty amount on the repair when it was Apple's engineering defect.

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
That's insane.

I took my macbook pro 2017 model to apple service centre. They claim that it could be the same problem but its not covered in the service program. The damage is 45-50K INR (~600 USD), so either I need to pay to get it repaired or I could wait. If at all in future Apple decides to extend the program to 2017 models, it will be covered. It doesn't make any sense to me especially during these times when we are so dependent upon these devices due to WFH.

If Apple knew the problem and fixed it in 2018, why did they not include all the affected models. Apple is losing its credibility very fast. Most of us buy Apple products assuming they are quality products. Now, I know so many Macbook users facing the same issue with 2017 models.

Any thoughts what can we do to bring it up to Apple management? I am sure none of us would want to pay a hefty amount on the repair when it was Apple's engineering defect.

yes the cost to repair the display is more than the cost to buy a new base model MacBook Pro 2020.

it is not acceptable indeed. I am disappointed too since my 2017 MacBook Pro has this prob in less than 3 years time.

I think more and more of us must report this prob quickly to Apple so that they will include it in the service program to do the free repair.

it is exactly the same prob as the 2016 one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.