Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crecktv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2018
Austria
Hello,
I'm thinking about replacing my current 17" windows laptop (7th gen i7, 16gb) with a 13" Macbook Pro (8gb) mostly because i don't want to carry this heavy laptop to school everyday and i like macos.
Sidenote: at home i have a windows pc that i'm gonna keep using anyway

What i need it for:
Java and C++ programming (only small projects), taking notes etc, a lot of vm stuff like windows server 2008, linux server and windows 7 with sql developer (all just for practicing)
I'm worried about the ram usage for the vms...

Is the 8gb quad-core model enough if i only run one vm at a time ore should i go for 16gb?
And also, would it be silly to "downgrade" from my current laptop?

Ashton Cofer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I agree with Ma2k5. You'll be much better off with 16GB and it's definitely worth the investment.

Keep in mind that if you are planning on keeping your MacBook for several years, having 16GB will help to future proof it. Although you could probably get by with 8GB right now, it might become more of an issue as time progresses.

Reactions: Crecktv

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Yeah for VMs I’d recommend 16 too. I bet it would run on 8, but 16 would give you more headroom.

Crecktv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2018
Austria
I agree with Ma2k5. You'll be much better off with 16GB and it's definitely worth the investment.

Keep in mind that if you are planning on keeping your MacBook for several years, having 16GB will help to future proof it. Although you could probably get by with 8GB right now, it might become more of an issue as time progresses.
The thing is... The 16gb model would cost me about 2200€, the 8gb one i could get refurbished for 1700€

Ashton Cofer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The thing is... The 16gb model would cost me about 2200€, the 8gb one i could get refurbished for 1700€
Have you tried looking into any refurbished 15 inch models (comes with 16GB ram)? You could also take a look at eBay as I know that there are many great deals for barely used MacBooks.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Usually 8GB is fine for anyone, it only gets a bit iffy with VM’s as you allocate an amount of RAM (as well as CPU/Storage) per instance. So if you had say 3 VM’s up, would you allocate 2GB to each? It might work fine, but is it ideal?

Reactions: revmacian

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm thinking about replacing my current 17" windows laptop (7th gen i7, 16gb) with a 13" Macbook Pro (8gb) mostly because i don't want to carry this heavy laptop to school everyday and i like macos.
Sidenote: at home i have a windows pc that i'm gonna keep using anyway

What i need it for:
Java and C++ programming (only small projects), taking notes etc, a lot of vm stuff like windows server 2008, linux server and windows 7 with sql developer (all just for practicing)
I'm worried about the ram usage for the vms...

Is the 8gb quad-core model enough if i only run one vm at a time ore should i go for 16gb?
And also, would it be silly to "downgrade" from my current laptop?
I would worry for ram usage on VM's too, running one vm at a time sounds like plenty nice in theory and is certainly doable, but how likely is that to be expedient in the long run?
Personally i'm not very comfortable with investing much time into learning anything on current Apple computers for various reasons, but if they are still recommended by your professor, or a large percentage of people are using them happily you are probably going to be fine while in school.

Crecktv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2018
Austria
Have you tried looking into any refurbished 15 inch models (comes with 16GB ram)? You could also take a look at eBay as I know that there are many great deals for barely used MacBooks.
Yeah the refurbished 15 inch model starts at 2379€... I might take a look at some uses ones, thank you

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
I've ran Virtual Machines on a 8GB MacBook Pro, but it only really works if you do it one at a time. You can get by with it. The quad core 2017 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar with 16GB of RAM might be better if you can pick it up from the refurbished store. It's about $300 more (In the US)

Crecktv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2018
Austria
I've ran Virtual Machines on a 8GB MacBook Pro, but it only really works if you do it one at a time. You can get by with it. The quad core 2017 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar with 16GB of RAM might be better if you can pick it up from the refurbished store. It's about $300 more (In the US)
I would like to but in Austria it is not in the refurbishment store... And the refurbished 15" base model is a bit too pricy for my liking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.