Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hatemjapo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
Hi

I am not someone who dont know how to open up devices or to repair it. I am reapiring things almost every week. So i am used to it. But this Macbook it brought my knowledge to the limit...

I got a broken Macbook Pro 13" early 2013 for free from a friend. It has a Waterdamage. The insurance told him that the device is irrepairable and he just got a new one. So i thought, cool, one free Macbook for me, after repairing for sure.

The first thing i tried was to ask about the waterdamage.

He told me it was coffee (not black, with milk). And the device was running.

He immediately shut the device down and waited to 3days. After that he tried to turn it on and it didnt work. He then contacted the insurance and they only asked if he can start it. He says no. And they replied "okay, then its damaged. Plz go to a verrifyed apple store and get a paper that it says that its not working. And after that he can go to buy a new one and he just have to send them the receipt" (pretty cool huh?)

This "verrifiyed" Apple repair center wrote a paper that says, that the device is not turning on at all.

An Official Apple repair center here in Austria looked at it and says that it is not working.

Now i have the Device:

- I tried to turn it on. Didnt work.

- I plugged in the cable and tried again. WHOA its starting (and the repair service didnt come up with that??). So maybe only the battery?

- I shut it down again. And open it up.

- i teared down the whole device. Took out everything and cleaned the Mainboard (logicboard) with alcohol and a toothbrush. Put it in Alcohol for 2hours and again with a toothbrush. And let it dry overnight.

- i ordered a new Battery.

- the day after, i build it back together and started it (without battery, didnt had one yet)

- it was running very good. It was fast. I checked everything (Ram, hdd, wifi, connections, screen, processor heating). Everything seems okay. so i shut it down again.

- now i thought of deleting everything and reinstalling a new version (because it smine now)

- everything seems okay, i installed El capitain.

Now the Problem starts:

- after installing, the first bootup i realized everything is running extremley slowly. Moving the mouse is hard enough. You can see the mouse lagging all the way.

- i started to think what the problem could be.

- i made the Apple Hardware Test, except the battery everything was fine.

i tested the ssd in an another device, everything was normal

- i tested the ram (took almost 24hours because the device is extremely slow!) also fine

- i deleted the smc and reset the nvram. (one of the issues to reset the smc was if the device is slow).

- i reformatted the ssd again, and installed Maverick (had a boot usb with it). Still slow. The installation took me about 8hours.

Then i thought maybe its becuase of the battery? But why was it fast back there at this day and now so slow?

yesterday i got the battery and build it in. Again, it was running good. It was fast. I thought the problem was solved. So i closed the device (was open because of various tests). And i kept shutting him up and down to see if the are some changes. Also shutting down, shaking a bit to see if something is losen and turn it back on. Everything was fine!!

And then i thought, okay, i will reinstall again to start with a fresh disk.

And Again, after reinstalling Maverick its slow like !&&*. I formatted the whole disk and now its installing OS X Mounatin Lion.

Actually i am now at the end of my knowledge. I dont know what the problem could be.

Why was it fast. And then suddelny so slow? Is the someting else that i can do??

And plz dont tell me to go to an Apple repair center. I send them an email and just asked for the battery and they told me that it will cost 500euro because the battery is attached to the body -_-. And i also dont think that thet can do much like i have done till now...

did i miss something?

And sorry for the long text, but i wanted to be clear so i can get help

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Sounds like it needs a new logic board, possibly SSD. I don't know the condition of the top case either, it may need a new one of those.

I don't mess around with liquid damage. Without replacing any component POSSIBLY damaged by the liquid, it's hard to say how long the computer will last.

Reactions: matt_on_a_mtn

hatemjapo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
The Logic board seems to be finde, bacause everything is working.
The SSD is also fine, i tested it in an other device.

I am just thinking of changing the cable...

hatemjapo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
yeah, but except for that i have no idea what it could be to make the device to run so slowly...
for testing, i am installing el capitan on an usb stick and i will try to boot up from the stick. You wouldnt believe it but its still installing OSX xD i think i am gonna cancel it

hatemjapo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
the logic board would cost me at least 600euro. In that case i would rather buy a new one...
but i would like to repair it as i can so maybe it works

and i really dont think that the logic board could have something because one time it was fast and then slow as hell...

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Unless you are able to perform component level repairs on the logic board, then it doesn't matter

Surface mounted chips are put there by machines, and getting one out let alone figuring out which one and then buying a replacement part and installing it... Also Apple does not release circuit diagrams, so finding the problem would really be a problem.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Surface mounted chips are put there by machines, and getting one out let alone figuring out which one and then buying a replacement part and installing it... Also Apple does not release circuit diagrams, so finding the problem would really be a problem.

That's not true at all. You can buy schematics for Apple products: they are out there.

I have also sent a few liquid damaged logic boards in for component level repairs and in all but one instance, the repairs are successful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.