Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimayed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Ukraine
Hello everyone!
Not long time ago I became a mac user, and start doing researches what I can to upgrade. This useb MBP have i5/8gb ram and 256Gb ssd. I check speed of this ssd and BM disc speed test show me 1200-1300 Mb/s in both ways. Google it and some web sites and youtube videos shows its should be about 600Mb/s.
Serial number of this ssd show loke og Apple ssd.
So, I think, if I will go for ssd upgrade to one of Samsung Evo NVMe line (lot of people recommend it), does it give me more much noticeable performance boost? What speed I can expect after replacement and what exact ssd I need to look for?
Thank you!

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Hello everyone!
Not long time ago I became a mac user, and start doing researches what I can to upgrade. This useb MBP have i5/8gb ram and 256Gb ssd. I check speed of this ssd and BM disc speed test show me 1200-1300 Mb/s in both ways. Google it and some web sites and youtube videos shows its should be about 600Mb/s.
Serial number of this ssd show loke og Apple ssd.
So, I think, if I will go for ssd upgrade to one of Samsung Evo NVMe line (lot of people recommend it), does it give me more much noticeable performance boost? What speed I can expect after replacement and what exact ssd I need to look for?
Thank you!
follow this thread below.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Samsung may give you a speed boost but the Samsung drives run hotter and use more battery power during use and idle.

The PCIe bus speed will limit the MBP's maximum read/write speeds. It's the 15" that supports PCIe 3.0 and 4 lanes.

Dimayed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Ukraine
The Samsung may give you a speed boost but the Samsung drives run hotter and use more battery power during use and idle.

The PCIe bus speed will limit the MBP's maximum read/write speeds. It's the 15" that supports PCIe 3.0 and 4 lanes.
Got it! Thank you!
[automerge]1587046158[/automerge]
follow this thread below.
Will do. Thank you!

Dimayed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Ukraine

I check the article and I am not 100% sure. But, as I can get, if I put Samsung NVMe SSD 970Evo/Pro I will get better speed but not so much. According to article MBP 13" 2015 has 4x lanes PCIe 2.0 wich giving us about 1400 MB/s and
What is the top speed I can expect if I switch to a newer sad drive?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I check the article and I am not 100% sure. But, as I can get, if I put Samsung NVMe SSD 970Evo/Pro I will get better speed but not so much. According to article MBP 13" 2015 has 4x lanes PCIe 2.0 wich giving us about 1400 MB/s and
What is the top speed I can expect if I switch to a newer sad drive?
You are not going to get much more if you already get 1200 to 1300 because of the the PCIe bus speed in the 13".

Speed tests don't always help in daily use unless the MacBook is performing a lot of large read/write functions.

Dimayed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Ukraine
You are not going to get much more if you already get 1200 to 1300 because of the the PCIe bus speed in the 13".

Speed tests don't always help in daily use unless the MacBook is performing a lot of large read/write functions.
Gotcha, thank you for helping to figure it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.