Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hatebreeder94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
Hi guys,

So, the issue is in the thread name.
I've tried connecting multiple different cables, tried 4 different adapters, 3 x miniDP -> HDMI and 1 x miniDP -> DVI, different monitors, tried resetting SMC and NVRAM, no luck.
MacOS recognizes the monitor and shows it inside Monitor settings, yet the monitor itself shows "no image".

Can you help me identify the cause?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You've certainly gone through all the troubleshooting steps. The only thing I can think of is the resolution you have it set for the external monitor; possibly it's too high for the monitor. Can you try pull it right down or do the option for Mirror Displays?

To be honest it sounds like the problem is almost definitely on the laptop. You could try to create a new user account briefly and try through that - as unlikely as it would be, this would at least confirm if the problem is software related.

Hatebreeder94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
You've certainly gone through all the troubleshooting steps. The only thing I can think of is the resolution you have it set for the external monitor; possibly it's too high for the monitor. Can you try pull it right down or do the option for Mirror Displays?

Forgot to mention that i tried this too, no luck. The monitor stays black, not even a blink.

To be honest it sounds like the problem is almost definitely on the laptop. You could try to create a new user account briefly and try through that - as unlikely as it would be, this would at least confirm if the problem is software related.

I doubt it'll work, but i'll sure try.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Forgot to mention that i tried this too, no luck. The monitor stays black, not even a blink.

I doubt it'll work, but i'll sure try.

I’m sorry man, it definitely sounds like hardware. If there’s an Apple Store local to you, it’s worth going in. They won’t charge you to assess the machine.

Hatebreeder94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
I’m sorry man, it definitely sounds like hardware. If there’s an Apple Store local to you, it’s worth going in. They won’t charge you to assess the machine.
That'd be the first place i'd go, if i wasn't living in a small god forsaken eastern european country lol
Here you need to be absolutely desperate to give a MacBook to repair guys, since they charge like hell, do it slow and you can never be sure that they won't completely destroy the thing.

Thanks for the answers though :)

Reactions: keysofanxiety

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
When you mention "Monitor settings", are you referring to System Preferences -> Displays or something else? If something else, does it show up in the System Preferences? If so, try setting it to mirroring.

What resolutions are the monitors you tried? Is at least one of them 1080p or lower?

Does any of the monitors you tried have a DisplayPort port? Do you have access to such a monitor. Before writing off the port as broken, if possible, you should try it with a DisplayPort monitor that is known to be working with another computer.

Hatebreeder94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
When you mention "Monitor settings", are you referring to System Preferences -> Displays or something else? If something else, does it show up in the System Preferences? If so, try setting it to mirroring.

What resolutions are the monitors you tried? Is at least one of them 1080p or lower?

Does any of the monitors you tried have a DisplayPort port? Do you have access to such a monitor. Before writing off the port as broken, if possible, you should try it with a DisplayPort monitor that is known to be working with another computer.
I tried two monitors, Dell U2312HM and AOC I2381FH, both i use everyday and they work perfectly.
Both 1080p, and i think that Dell has a DP, i'll try it out if i happen to stumble upon a DP cable.

Both monitors appear in System Preferences -> Displays, tried multiple resolution settings and mirroring.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The issue with MDP->HDMI at around 1080p is that anything over that should use an active adapter. My Amazon Basics MDP->HDMI (non-active) adapter on my mid-2010 13" MBP has no problems doing 1080p but will not display anything when connected to a 2560x1440 monitor (which works fine when connected to a HDMI port which can display that resolution). Just an explanation if you're interested.

It's unlikely that if you've tried that many different cable/adapter/monitors that they have the same characteristics but trying it with a native DisplayPort monitor will rule it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.