Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILoveZed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Bulgaria
Hi, this Christmas I have plans of getting a MBP for school. I had chosen the MPB 13, but after seeing it in real life I was a bit disappointed with it's size. I didnt think it will look this small. After talking with some friends they thought it's kinda small too and that I should consider getting the 15 inch model. Well the problem is that it is too expensive for me. I found it for 2000 dollars on BestBuy, but considering I could get a 13 inch for about 1500 I did not think it's a good deal. It is also way above my budget. I watched some videos and found out that the 13 inch has a lot better battery performance, which is a big factor for me, because I am mostly outside and I need the battery to last me all day. I will use the laptop for programming, browsing the web, watching videos, writing documents and very light gaming, something like league of legends, minecraft, I know that the 13 inch can handle it. Also my backpack has a laptop pocket which is specifically designed to fit the MBP 13. The only thing that pushes me to the bigger model is it's screen size. I have 27 inch monitor at home and I dont know if can get used to a 13 inch laptop screen. Which one should I get?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Hi, this Christmas I have plans of getting a MBP for school. I had chosen the MPB 13, but after seeing it in real life I was a bit disappointed with it's size. I didnt think it will look this small. After talking with some friends they thought it's kinda small too and that I should consider getting the 15 inch model. Well the problem is that it is too expensive for me. I found it for 2000 dollars on BestBuy, but considering I could get a 13 inch for about 1500 I did not think it's a good deal. It is also way above my budget. I watched some videos and found out that the 13 inch has a lot better battery performance, which is a big factor for me, because I am mostly outside and I need the battery to last me all day. I will use the laptop for programming, browsing the web, watching videos, writing documents and very light gaming, something like league of legends, minecraft, I know that the 13 inch can handle it. Also my backpack has a laptop pocket which is specifically designed to fit the MBP 13. The only thing that pushes me to the bigger model is it's screen size. I have 27 inch monitor at home and I dont know if can get used to a 13 inch laptop screen. Which one should I get?

Well if money is a limiting factor then I assume you won't be able to get the 15" unless you get some kind of discount...

Or if you're thinking about saving up for it then that's different.

I'm using the 15" and I love the screen real estate. I could never go back to 13"

The battery life is not good IMO and it's not easy to carry around, but when doing work or whatever on it, it is pure joy.

If you have a return window, maybe it's worth trying out either one and seeing if it works out for you. As long as you follow the return guidelines of the store you buy it from.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
If you're going to school, you should qualify for the teacher/student discount, that could take a decent amount off. You also get Beats which you could sell and could take a little more off for you.

Ultimately the size is very subjective. I have always gone 13 Inch as the portability is necessary, I am also on the road all the time. Now that it is it quad core, it is just as powerful as 15 inch models from 3-4 years ago. Battery life is no issue for me, lasts all day no problem.

If the 13 Inch plus some is in your budget, maybe you could consider purchasing a monitor also which could satisfy your need for a larger screen when home?

ILoveZed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Bulgaria
Well if money is a limiting factor then I assume you won't be able to get the 15" unless you get some kind of discount...

Or if you're thinking about saving up for it then that's different.

I'm using the 15" and I love the screen real estate. I could never go back to 13"

The battery life is not good IMO and it's not easy to carry around, but when doing work or whatever on it, it is pure joy.

If you have a return window, maybe it's worth trying out either one and seeing if it works out for you. As long as you follow the return guidelines of the store you buy it from.
The problem is that I don't live in the USA, but a friend who lives there said that he can buy it for me and then return with it somewhere after Christmas. Every year he comes back to renew his VISA on January and then goes back to the US somewhere in April. So I don't have the chance to try both of them. Also me and my parents have an agreement to divide the money for the laptop so I don't have to use all of my savings. They agreed to get the 13 inch, but now that I talked with them about the 15", they think it's a bit too much money for a laptop. I guess after all I will wait to find out if I will be lucky to find an amazing Christmas deal of the 15". Maybe Black Friday could be a solution too, but I am not sure...
[doublepost=1565903477][/doublepost]
If you're going to school, you should qualify for the teacher/student discount, that could take a decent amount off. You also get Beats which you could sell and could take a little more off for you.

Ultimately the size is very subjective. I have always gone 13 Inch as the portability is necessary, I am also on the road all the time. Now that it is it quad core, it is just as powerful as 15 inch models from 3-4 years ago. Battery life is no issue for me, lasts all day no problem.

If the 13 Inch plus some is in your budget, maybe you could consider purchasing a monitor also which could satisfy your need for a larger screen when home?
I don't live in the US. A friend is getting the laptop from there, because the prices in Europe are obnoxiously high compared to the US. I am a student, but I am not sure if I will be able to get a discount, considering I am not from the US.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
There are great deals on refurbished Macbook Pros. Maybe look into that.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I have 27 inch monitor at home and I dont know if can get used to a 13 inch laptop screen.

15" vs 27" might seemingly be equally small as 13" vs 27".

But, this is an good situation. At home, plug into the 27", while 13" gives you great portability.

Personally, I went from 15" to 13" a few months ago, and no qualms. Sure, not as much real estate when on the go, but not missing the extra space, adjusted just fine. I plug into the 23" monitor on the desk at home.

Reactions: Hieveryone

ILoveZed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Bulgaria

But, this is an good situation. At home, plug into the 27", while 13" gives you great portability.

Personally, I went from 15" to 13" a few months ago, and no qualms. Sure, not as much real estate when on the go, but not missing the extra space, adjusted just fine. I plug into the 23" monitor on the desk at home.
OMG! HOW AM I THIS STUPID?!?!? I JUST CANT IMAGINE HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THAT! omfg! Thanks man! You saved my money! I guess the problem is solved xd. Still cant imagine, how can I be this stupid xdd
[doublepost=1565904489][/doublepost]
There are great deals on refurbished Macbook Pros. Maybe look into that.
Even in the refurbished store I can't find a 15 inch under 2000 dollars.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

This is a decent idea.

If I were in a similar situation I suppose I would highly consider doing the same because I’d have a 27” at home.

Question: is the 27” good quality? Meaning similar quality to retina? @ILoveZed

ILoveZed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Bulgaria
This is a decent idea.

If I were in a similar situation I suppose I would highly consider doing the same because I’d have a 27” at home.

It's 1080p full HD. not the best, but does the job fine. I dont really need any higher quality than that. I wish it had 144Hz panel, but at least it has a 60Hz one. Wish I knew more about electronics 3 years ago xd
[doublepost=1565917943][/doublepost]
This is a decent idea.

I really wanted to get a Macbook, because you can use it for all kinds of professional work. Lets say I want to start editing videos or photo editing, handles that just fine and has one of the most color accurate displays on a laptop on the market. IOS app developing? Check. Android app developing? Check. Programming? Check. Web developing? Easy for any laptop, but again CHECK! The only downside it that I own a Galaxy S9+ and having a Mac might push me towards apple's ecosystem. I like it, but I want Iphone's to have bigger batteries and then I'll get one.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I went from a 27" All in One Dell PC to a 13" MacBook Pro. At first it felt small, but after 2 weeks of use, I'm used to it. I like it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.