Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhs11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
I've recently purchased a MacBook Pro(13inch, 2016) and have been experiencing some battery draining issue when my Mac is put into sleep mode.

Before going to bed I would usually put my Mac into sleep mode by closing the lid. But for some reason it seems to be losing 10~15% battery life over night. Does anyone have this issue?? Is this normal?

I've figured one way to fix this problem by turning off wi-fi manually before putting it to sleep mode. This keeps battery level at 100% till the next morning. But it's hard to understand why this makes such difference. Isn't it supposed to automatically disconnect wifi when put into sleep mode?
(My MBP is running on sierra)

Last edited:

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I've recently purchased a MacBook Pro(13inch, 2016) and have been experiencing some battery draining issue when my Mac is put into sleep mode.

Before going to bed I would usually put my Mac into sleep mode by closing the lid. But for some reason it seems to be loosing 10~15% battery life over night. Does anyone have this issue?? Is this normal?

I've figured one way to fix this problem by turning off wi-fi manually before putting it to sleep mode. This keeps battery level at 100% till the next morning. But it's hard to understand why this makes such difference. Isn't it supposed to automatically disconnect wifi when put into sleep mode?
(My MBP is running on sierra)

It seems to be a problem introduced with MacOS Sierra. It impacts MBAs, MBs, MBPs alike.

There are other issues with sleep drain on MBPs but since you reported that you can eliminate drain by switching off wifi you do not have a hardware issue.

Check settings for sleep/standby as well as notifications, find my mac, etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.