Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ka Tec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
With the new announcement of the Macbook Pro 13 inch, I am trying to find out whether we can expect a battery life improvement. Looking at the Apple site which I assume has the new specifications, the battery life is still at 10hrs. Is this correct?

Given that alot of the new kaby lake Window laptops are claiming 12-13hrs with touch screen, I would have thought we would expect a big improvement in this department with the new Macbook Pro 13 kaby lake......... or has Windows now has become less resource intensive than OS??

Appreciate if any one could let me know. Improved battery life is one of the reasons I have been holding out for the Macbook kaby lake.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
With the new announcement of the Macbook Pro 13 inch, I am trying to find out whether we can expect a battery life improvement. Looking at the Apple site which I assume has the new specifications, the battery life is still at 10hrs. Is this correct?

Given that alot of the new kaby lake Window laptops are claiming 12-13hrs with touch screen, I would have thought we would expect a big improvement in this department with the new Macbook Pro 13 kaby lake......... or has Windows now has become less resource intensive than OS??

Appreciate if any one could let me know. Improved battery life is one of the reasons I have been holding out for the Macbook kaby lake.

Maybe wait a few days for people to actually have time to do some testing!!! Or alternatively look out for reviews!!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Its more a mixture of two things:

a) Windows laptop makers predominantly use the 15W CPUs, even for premium products. Those will of course give you longer lasting batteries (at the expense of sustained performance)
b) Windows laptop makers often give fairly... optimistic estimates for their battery life

You'll find that the MBP already compares very favourably to its competitors. And the KL will mostly likely bring minor battery improvements which will be quantified in (hopefully) soon to come tests.

P.S. If you want battery, the non-TB low-end MBP with 15W CPU is what you are looking for.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

I don't think MacOS is any less if not more resource intensive than Win10, but it is a given it is more efficient in certain areas due to it's optimisations from a smaller choice of hardware

Hence why you see at least an hour difference between MacOS and Win10 via bootcamp on a Mac

OEM claims on battery endurance are very subjective especially for Win10 and even harder when you start spec comparisons

Apple 10hrs across the whole range also seems strange as you note

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
IF Apple put a larger battery in the machine, then they would have promoted that. I don't think there's been any changes. We'll have to wait and see about actual real world changes.

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
I can give you my Dell XPS opinion, since I went form 13'' Skylake to 13'' Kabylake. Honestly, not much of a difference, maybe 20-30 extra minutes or so of real world usage.

Ka Tec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Thanks everyone for the comments. Especially Leman for pointing out difference with 15W did not know that. Whilst I can live we 10hrs battery life in reality I only get 5 hrs as I use it for web development. So if it was a 13-14 hrs the extra 2 hrs would have been really good. All well I guess we will wait for the real life testing but bit of bummer to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.