Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is your MacBook Pro 2021 14”/16” ownership experience so far?

• Total voters

m3digi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
Hello everyone. I scanned the last many pages of this forum before creating this thread.

I’ve made up my mind to buy the 16” MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro spec. The issue is that I’m really hesitant about buying it given that it has only been on the market for such a short time.

A very disappointing and frustrating ownership experience with the 2016 MacBook Pro 15” is the reason for my hesitancy anxiety. I purchased it shortly after it was introduced. It had several build quality and functional issues.

I’d like to hear from owners about their experiences, concerns and issues so far with the new MacBook Pro. Your perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Functionally, it's an improvement all around. I wouldn't be so nearly concerned about operational issues out of the gate. The main thing might be Apple silicon teething pains that still happen from time to time w/ random apps, but relatively minor issues considering that the M1 class chips has been out a year now.

Ergonomically, it's a bit sideways. In the pluses, it runs much cooler/lack of fans and won't have keyboard issues. Of course it's a fair bit thicker (in practice, the chassis has much more volume despite the measured spec) and heavier. I've found the key action slightly mushy compared to even my 16" i9 MBP and was a fan of the super short clicky nature of the butterfly keys - that seems consistent based on the machines I tried at the Apple store, so purely a preference that likely anyone will be fine with after a bit of an adjustment.

davidt029

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
I have issue with the popping sound on speakers while playing video on Youtube (16MBP, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU).

m3digi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
Ergonomically, it's a bit sideways. In the pluses, it runs much cooler/lack of fans and won't have keyboard issues. Of course it's a fair bit thicker (in practice, the chassis has much more volume despite the measured spec) and heavier. I've found the key action slightly mushy compared to even my 16" i9 MBP and was a fan of the super short clicky nature of the butterfly keys - that seems consistent based on the machines I tried at the Apple store, so purely a preference that likely anyone will be fine with after a bit of an adjustment.
I have similar impressions. It’s a substantial system compared to the last gen. I agree with you on the key action being mushy. I could type with good speed and accuracy on it though. It’s not the biggest concern since I’ll be using my mechanical keyboard when the MBP is on my desktop.

m3digi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
I have issue with the popping sound on speakers while playing video on Youtube (16MBP, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU).
Interesting. Doesn’t only happen while playing YouTube?

My 2016 MacBook Pro 15” chassis used to randomly pop. Apple fixed the issue. I’m having flashbacks. 😥

davidt029

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
I tested, I didn't have that issue on my old 2019 MBP 16. It happened on other video clips too.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
I picked up a base model 14". The screen looks so yellow compared to my M1 Air, my 12.9" mini led iPad pro and my 24" iMac! My return period is up tomorrow. And yes true tone and night shift is off on everything! I hate it!

Has anybody else noticed this?

My local apple store just got some more base models in so will grab one after work and compare them. This is supposed to have a much better screen than everything else! (well except for the iPad pro which has the same screen technology)

Reactions: m3digi

m3digi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
Interesting. Doesn’t only happen while playing YouTube?

My 2016 MacBook Pro 15” chassis used to randomly pop. Apple fixed the issue. I’m having flashbacks. 😥
I tried two MacBook Pro 16” at my local Apple Store. The popping was so bad that it was embarrassing.

The second 16” I tried was even worst than the first one. I began to worry that other people in the store thought I was abusing the systems.

Has your issue with the popping sound been resolved?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
my 16 has been great thus far! Wish it was a tad lighter but its all very much worth it!

Reactions: m3digi

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Zero issues so far, but I have had the computer for all of 12 days only.

I do not truly expect this computer to give me any issues whatsoever for the life of it. It seems solid, works amazingly, and I am typing just as I was on the 2011-2015 MBPs and 2017 MBA keyboards. On 2016 I was suffering from frequent spelling errors.

Delighted with this costliest computer I have ever purchased in my life. While it did hurt my gut to pay what I did for this configuration (considering I could buy a brand new hatchback for the same price, on road!) it is wholly worth it and I am fully satisfied with the purchase.

I would recommend everyone to stop thinking about the boxiness and just buy one if you want/ need a new computer. This one will not disappoint.

m3digi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
NYC
Zero issues so far, but I have had the computer for all of 12 days only.

I do not truly expect this computer to give me any issues whatsoever for the life of it. It seems solid, works amazingly, and I am typing just as I was on the 2011-2015 MBPs and 2017 MBA keyboards. On 2016 I was suffering from frequent spelling errors.

Delighted with this costliest computer I have ever purchased in my life. While it did hurt my gut to pay what I did for this configuration (considering I could buy a brand new hatchback for the same price, on road!) it is wholly worth it and I am fully satisfied with the purchase.

I would recommend everyone to stop thinking about the boxiness and just buy one if you want/ need a new computer. This one will not disappoint.
Glad to hear your feedback. It’s going to be the costliest computer I have ever purchased as well.

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.