Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Japseguten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Norway
Hi, this is my first Macbook and first apple product other than an old iPhone 3g. I purchased it from a friend as I wanted to learn the OS, and because I got a brilliant deal.

Upon booting it I was greeted with the os x utilities (My friend prepared it for me), and upon trying to reinstall OS X and typing in my personal Apple ID I got the "This item is temprarly unavailable" notification...

I realise this has to do with my account not being linked to the laptop or whatever, so I wonder wheter or not there is a way to "fix" this?

Internet recovery doesn't seem like an option as I don't think its suppoerted on Pre 2010 mashines..
Could i just boot a OS from a USB or dvd etc? I know Windows like the back of my pocket, but I am a complete noob with Mac OS...

Does my friend have to login? If thats the case how do I make the PC "mine"/how do I link it to my Apple ID after thats been done?

Any replies are much appreciated! :)

Japseguten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Norway
U can use bootable USB to install the os

How? Any guide on the interwebz you could link to? Its worth noting I don't have any "working MAC" other than the one i'm trying to reinstall (which has all its othert data erased). I do have Windows mashines though

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
How? Any guide on the interwebz you could link to? Its worth noting I don't have any "working MAC" other than the one i'm trying to reinstall (which has all its othert data erased). I do have Windows mashines though
Sorry for late response. I think u need the installer tho. U could prob ask to borrow your friend working Mac to do this

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
This site seems to have a detailed guide.

http://www.intowindows.com/create-macos-sierra-bootable-usb-drive-from-windows/

They use Sierra for their example, but you can just substitute the installer you are trying to use.
You just need a copy of the OS X Installer (DMG) file for the version of OS X you want. From your friend? or ???

I'm not sure what version you want to use. On my old 2009 17" MBP I was running OS X 10.11 El Capitan (it wasn't compatible with the current 10.12 macOS Sierra). I'm guessing your 15" will probably be the same? Running an older version will probably give you better performance though.

Japseguten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Norway
This site seems to have a detailed guide.

http://www.intowindows.com/create-macos-sierra-bootable-usb-drive-from-windows/

They use Sierra for their example, but you can just substitute the installer you are trying to use.
You just need a copy of the OS X Installer (DMG) file for the version of OS X you want. From your friend? or ???

I'm not sure what version you want to use. On my old 2009 17" MBP I was running OS X 10.11 El Capitan (it wasn't compatible with the current 10.12 macOS Sierra). I'm guessing your 15" will probably be the same? Running an older version will probably give you better performance though.

Thanks ill try this then!

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
If you use 10.10 or 10.11 you may have to set the date and time earlier. Had to do that with a 2007 MBP.

Japseguten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Norway
If you use 10.10 or 10.11 you may have to set the date and time earlier. Had to do that with a 2007 MBP.

I tried changing the date to the correct time (I think i got it right), but that didn't do it. Are you suggesting I should try setting it earlier?
[doublepost=1498254239][/doublepost]
If you are able to get into disk utility but can't erase or partition, the hard drive cable may be defective.

Hmm I tried to do a partition but it told me it couldn't "deactivate" the drive? Same thing when i try to delete it. This is with a drive called ST9500420AS Media (Its on the top of the list in disk utility) It has a disk under it which i guess is a partition? That can be deleted, but doesn't come with the option to partition

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
In my experience, 10.10 required a time from 2015 and 10.11 2016. Otherwise the installer failed. The dates used were January 1 for both years and was able to proceed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.