Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the popping/cracking sounds normal?

• static energy popping sound

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • expansion of the materials when its get hot

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters

raduene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Hello, i have the new 2016 macbook pro 15" with the touch bar for about 2 weeks and i have some problems with it. one of them is when i shake it side to side i hear a rattling sound (i found out that is the light panel behind the display) and i want to ask if other 2016 mackbooks have this problem to?
The second problem, that is more annoying is that i hear a random popping/cracking noise when i use the laptop (it usually happens when the laptop is cold and i am using intense programs and its start heating up). I also saw that this problem comes from the display/hinge because when it gets hot and i slightly touch the display it make the same popping/cracking sound but not that loud. Is this normal? are other 2016 macbook owners have this problem? should i take it back to the apple store to exchange it for a new one?(i am afraid that a new one is going to have other problems like the gpu or the battery)

random cracking sound:
cracking sound when i touch the display:

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
I get the same thing sometimes. Same as you describe, it happens mostly when it is cold booted and run for a couple of minutes to start heating up. I haven't noticed it when touching the screen like video #2, but I do hear it sometimes when opening the lid from closed.

That said, I'm not really worried it about it at this point, I assume it is some part flexing when heated given how tightly packed the components are.

Reactions: raduene

gordosuperfly

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
Mine is like this when closing and opening the hinge. It also think it has something to do with how tightly it is. After moving back and forth it does not do it again... Not sure what causes it. I have thought about taking it in but I can't decide if it bothers me enough.

Ducki

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Same sound here :(

I have thought about taking it in but I can't decide if it bothers me enough.
If it didn't have cost >3000$ I guess I wouldn't care. But … ;)

slvdrfrncs

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2020
Mine is like this when closing and opening the hinge. It also think it has something to do with how tightly it is. After moving back and forth it does not do it again... Not sure what causes it. I have thought about taking it in but I can't decide if it bothers me enough.
I think I'm experiencing the same thing, too. However, coupled with this, I also have difficulty opening the lid of my device with one hand sometimes. The chassis raises with the lid if I don't pin it down with my other hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.