Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwroycechoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
I've got my hands on a Dell UP2715K and am trying to use it as an external display for my Macbook Pro (15, 2018). I have a DisplayPort - HDMI cable and a Satechi dock. When I connect them together, neither can detect each other. With the Satechi dock, I haven't experienced any problems connecting to other displays (both at work or conferences). Should I try getting a DisplayPort - Thunderbolt (USB-C) cable? No clue what is happening!

Appreciate any comments or help!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
For 5K 60Hz, you need to use two DisplayPort cables from the MacBook Pro to the UP2715K.

Two USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 cables is the minimum.

If you want to save a Thunderbolt port, then you have these options:
- You can connect them to a Thunderbolt 4 hub or dock if you are running macOS Big Sur or later.
- If you are running Catalina or earlier, then the dock should be Thunderbolt 3.
- The simplest Thunderbolt adapter is a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter. This one has a non-attached Thunderbolt cable:
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3ADP2DPT/

DisplayPort to HDMI cables only work in one direction - usually DisplayPort source with HDMI display (the UP2715K doesn't have HDMI input).
The Satechi dock is probably USB-C, not Thunderbolt, so it would be limited to one DisplayPort connection, probably limited to 4K 30Hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.