Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
Hey everyone!

I'm really excited by the new Macbook Pros as I have been waiting for over an year to come them out.
I currently use an old Macbook Pro 17" Early 2009 with a 1TB SSD that I installed later.

I absolutely need a new machine since the work I do is pretty intensive from music composing to complex photo editing with Photoshop. Portability is also important since I'm often traveling but I prefer having a larger screen and better performance than sacrifying portability and I think with the new 15" Macbook Pros we reached the perfect balance.

CPU: Do you suggest to upgrade or stay with the default i7 2.6 GHz? What are the main real differences in terms of usege?

Storage: I need space but the 1TB option it's still too much expensive. I now have 1TB and I feel so bad to spend more than € 3000 to get less space than before.
Moreover the gap from 512GB to 1TB is almost 2X times the gap from 256GB to 512GB which is insane. With the same money I can get upgrated CPU and upgraded graphic card!

Graphics: Do I need the extra 2GB for the use that I do? I use Photoshop and Camera Raw, Lightroom, Logic Pro. In the future I may want to buy a drone and use editing software not professionally.

Thanks for your help!

Federico

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.