Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plasticpippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
Hi everyone,
my MBP does turn on if i leave the battery inside and not plug for a while (let's say a couple of hours)
after a bit of trial and error i have discovered the if i remove the battery for a few minutes and connect the charger it turns on like nothing happened.
if i put the battery back in it is still turning on without problems.
i am not leaving it disconnected without battery a for a few hours to see if the problems only happens with the battery plugged in.
The magsafe LED always turn on without any problems and the side battery button (to check charging status) works very well too.

i have replaced RAM and upgraded to SSD some years ago and it has always been fine.

resetting smc and PRAM does not really do anything

I can use the laptop ok, but i would like to know how to get rid of this problem once and for all.

i read a post in iFixIt that replacing the power board is going to help, but not really sure if it is the real reason.

any help will be greatly appreciated :)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What is the status of the battery? A dying battery can sometimes cause similar problems, at least with other models.

Reactions: BrianBaughn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.