Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

It'schapMAAAN!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
MISSOURI
So the a1286 battery in my mbp15 8.2 went bad. I replaced the battery last night and connected the charger. The light on the charger stays green and doesn't turn orange to signal that it's charging the battery. I made sure to buy a genuine A1286 battery from a reputable dealer so I don't think it's the battery. At the startup screen when I input my password the boot screen with the apple shows up. The meter bar below the apple gets to about half full then my mac shuts off. I can't get past this screen nor can I boot in safe mode. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

-Matt

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Are you sure that the battery is an OEM? I ask because I'm in Canada and certified Apple repair depots must install the battery for the customer.

Have you tried running the MacBook with the battery disconnected?

The MacBook actually shuts off or does the screen go blank? I'm asking because the early 2011 and late 2011 15" MBPs are known to have defective GPUs.

It'schapMAAAN!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
MISSOURI
no it shuts down. for instance, it will boot up, get all the way to login. I will put my password in and hit enter. Then it goes into the boot screen from me entering my PW with the apple logo and a loading bar below. the bar will get to halfway and the MacBook shuts off. Once it shuts off it turns itself back on and makes the chime and goes back to the login
[doublepost=1562772465][/doublepost]I have tried to hold the shift key immediately after pushing the power on button because that's how I was told to boot in safe mode but it doesn't do anything.

It'schapMAAAN!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
MISSOURI
I will try that tonight when I get home. So if it does boot up then its a defective battery. What happens if it doesn't boot up?

It'schapMAAAN!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
MISSOURI
SO dumb question because I am not totally knowledgeable on this type of stuff but is it safe to say that my data is lost. Ie photos, music, videos etc?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Data should be safe unless something happened that affect the drive.

If you are concerned about the drive contents, I recommend removing the drive and experimenting with another drive inside the MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.