Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Is this the correct forum to ask about installing an SSD on the above or should I post elsewhere?

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Please, ask away........"Mac Basics and Help" is as good a place as any, the "MacBook Pro" forum would also have been good.

.......And, before you ask. Yes, please install a SSD you will not regret it. Your model will only allow SATA-2 speeds, but it will still be a huge performance boost over a spinning hard drive. If you have less than 8 GB RAM, I would also suggest that you also consider upgrading to at least 8 GB.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I but a Crucial SSD in my 2009 17" MBP and it is still going strong. I also maxed out the ram with Crucial Ram when I first purchased it. I have installed their ram in all my Macs through the years.

Reactions: haremite

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I still use a 2010 MBP for some work, and upgraded to a SSD years ago. My choice was a Samsung. A motivating factor for me was total capacity, and the cost/capacity pointed to this drive all those years ago. I'm very happy with my choice. The market has evolved since then for sure. The upgrade transformed my machine, and I use it daily. It's an impressive machine. My work pc laptop is about to be replaced for the fourth time since 2010. It amazes me how Apple computers tend to "just work" for years. I'm sure someone will complain they don't, and probably say "what about the Mac Vx"

The upgrade itself is remarkably easy, and youtube has videos that will guide you through it.

Now the tough news: you need to make the upgrade to keep the laptop running at the lowest temperature possible. The 2010 MBP was the first generation of Macs using lead-free soldering. A good thing, however the first efforts weren't very durable. Apple had a logic board replacement program for them that has long since expired. In addition to the SSD, I'd suggest you keep it on your desk or workspace on a stand (versus flat on the desk) to keep air circuiting underneath it. Don't freak out about a designer stand. I use the "plastic ends" from a 3.5" hard drive package to do the trick. Just something to keep the air circulating below the bottom of the machine and the desk.

Am I overly paranoid? Maybe. The machine is technically obsolete, so a replacement logic board would be a bit of a challenge to find these days. The Apple Store may decline to service it.

You'll know if you have a logic board issue if you start to see kernel panics. It won't be all at once. They'll occur from time to time with increasing frequency.

I hope you enjoy your MBP as much as I do. It was the beginning of the end of the trend of MagSafe, matte screens (upgrade), memory card reader slot, upgrade ease,and superdrive. It's built like a tank, not too heavy (especially if you compare it to machines of the time), and still looks both modern and pretty.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
SSD will be a BIG improvement.

DON'T spend more $$$ than you need to. All SSD's will run at the same speed, because of the 2010's slower SATA bus speed (as mentioned above).

Consider also buying one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

Use it to "prep and test" the SSD BEFORE you open the MacBook to install it. This way, if there are any problems, you still have a working MacBook with which to address them.

After you do the drive swap, use the adapter/dongle to keep using the old drive (for backup or external storage).

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I still use a 2010 MBP for some work, and upgraded to a SSD years ago. My choice was a Samsung. A motivating factor for me was total capacity, and the cost/capacity pointed to this drive all those years ago. I'm very happy with my choice. The market has evolved since then for sure. The upgrade transformed my machine, and I use it daily. It's an impressive machine. My work pc laptop is about to be replaced for the fourth time since 2010. It amazes me how Apple computers tend to "just work" for years. I'm sure someone will complain they don't, and probably say "what about the Mac Vx"

The upgrade itself is remarkably easy, and youtube has videos that will guide you through it.

Now the tough news: you need to make the upgrade to keep the laptop running at the lowest temperature possible. The 2010 MBP was the first generation of Macs using lead-free soldering. A good thing, however the first efforts weren't very durable. Apple had a logic board replacement program for them that has long since expired. In addition to the SSD, I'd suggest you keep it on your desk or workspace on a stand (versus flat on the desk) to keep air circuiting underneath it. Don't freak out about a designer stand. I use the "plastic ends" from a 3.5" hard drive package to do the trick. Just something to keep the air circulating below the bottom of the machine and the desk.

Am I overly paranoid? Maybe. The machine is technically obsolete, so a replacement logic board would be a bit of a challenge to find these days. The Apple Store may decline to service it.

You'll know if you have a logic board issue if you start to see kernel panics. It won't be all at once. They'll occur from time to time with increasing frequency.

I hope you enjoy your MBP as much as I do. It was the beginning of the end of the trend of MagSafe, matte screens (upgrade), memory card reader slot, upgrade ease,and superdrive. It's built like a tank, not too heavy (especially if you compare it to machines of the time), and still looks both modern and pretty.
What's a kernel panic and how will it impact the performance of my laptop? Yes, I love it, and hope to have use of it for a few more years. Also, which OS are you using? Mine is still on Mavericks. Thanks.
[doublepost=1526918246][/doublepost]
SSD will be a BIG improvement.

DON'T spend more $$$ than you need to. All SSD's will run at the same speed, because of the 2010's slower SATA bus speed (as mentioned above).

Consider also buying one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

Use it to "prep and test" the SSD BEFORE you open the MacBook to install it. This way, if there are any problems, you still have a working MacBook with which to address them.

After you do the drive swap, use the adapter/dongle to keep using the old drive (for backup or external storage).
Thanks. My old HD is damaged = SSD
[doublepost=1526921345][/doublepost]

Hi. I have another question: My MacBook had 4GB, 500 HD. If I get the Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Internal SSD, which will be less storage space, which operating system should be installed? I have only ever used Mavericks. I'm concerned that High Sierra won't perform as well. Should I just reinstall Mavericks? And is it really necessary to up the RAM? Also, what the heck is TRIM? Thanks so much!
[doublepost=1526921572][/doublepost]

Oops, sorry to be a pest, but I don't store movies or do any gaming on my laptop. I basically use it to store documents, some pictures/music and just for everyday use.

golfing bob

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I did not upgrade my 2010 13" MacBook Pro. Logic board went bad so I bought a 2017 MacBook Pro.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
A kernel panic is. black to grey box that appears in the middle of your screen with a bunch of white writing telling you there's a problem, and you need to restart your computer. It's similar to the windows BSOD (blue screen of death.)

I'm using High Sierra with no issues. I have 8gb of ram.

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
A kernel panic is. black to grey box that appears in the middle of your screen with a bunch of white writing telling you there's a problem, and you need to restart your computer. It's similar to the windows BSOD (blue screen of death.)

I'm using High Sierra with no issues. I have 8gb of ram.
Thank you for your help.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
It seems to me the problem with upgrading a 2010 MBP is that the OS cannot be upgraded beyond a certain level, perhaps El Capitan, 10.11.6. Certain software will not operate on older computers. TurboTax informed me that my computer's OS would have to be upgraded for next year's tax software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.