Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMcGee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
I've been worrying away at this thing for a while. Can someone help me out?

I purchased a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD and put it in my MBP 15" Late 2011

I Installed Linux without issue on this, used it for a few days (no issues) then decided to switch back to OSX Snow Leopard.

Install disk for Snow Leopard will NOT install when SSD is in (3-beep failure on booting from disc)

Installed OSX Snow Leopard on the SSD via USB from an iMac, put it into the MBP and boom, three-beep error. Using my regular stock disk, I can boot fine with the exact same configuration. I have reset NVRAM and SMC and all my firmware on the MBP is up-to-date.

While the 3-beep error usually means "POST failure, No Good RAM Banks" this is not actually the case, as I have tested the RAM using my stock hard drive.

TL; DR -- Linux works fine on my new SSD, but OSX Snow Leopard refuses to install or boot from the SSD.

Did I miss something or is the SSD incompatible with Snow Leopard?

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I've been worrying away at this thing for a while. Can someone help me out?

I purchased a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD and put it in my MBP 15" Late 2011

I Installed Linux without issue on this, used it for a few days (no issues) then decided to switch back to OSX Snow Leopard.

Install disk for Snow Leopard will NOT install when SSD is in (3-beep failure on booting from disc)

Installed OSX Snow Leopard on the SSD via USB from an iMac, put it into the MBP and boom, three-beep error. Using my regular stock disk, I can boot fine with the exact same configuration. I have reset NVRAM and SMC and all my firmware on the MBP is up-to-date.

While the 3-beep error usually means "POST failure, No Good RAM Banks" this is not actually the case, as I have tested the RAM using my stock hard drive.

TL; DR -- Linux works fine on my new SSD, but OSX Snow Leopard refuses to install or boot from the SSD.

Did I miss something or is the SSD incompatible with Snow Leopard?
"... is the SSD incompatible with Snow Leopard?" The SSD is not the problem, your MBP requires Lion 10.7 or later. Download the free soft Mactracker and check your MBP model.

SuperMcGee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Yup. I'm in internet recovery now.

My first mistake was using Snow Leopard -- I should have realized that my Macbook Pro came with Lion installed (but without the recovery disc) so this is totally user error.

Thanks guys, Internet recovery mode is proceeding now and I'll mark this resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.