Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I hope I'm not sounding silly, but I've noticed that its mostly men that has the 15inch MacBook Pro on the forums.. i wanna know for a woman's point of view, what do you guys think of the MacBook Pro 15 inch size wise? is it too big/ heavy? I've never had a 15 inch and currently have a 13inch one but I'm considering the 15 based on the specs it have. Im a small woman, I don't travel often but I worry about the weight of the 15inch. I'm planning on keeping the laptop for a long time, I watch a lot of movies almost everyday on bed or put my laptop on my lap. I use my 13inch right now to play sims 4 from time to time, web surfing, emails, Netflix, sometimes I help my husband with work and I find myself having a hard time reading the letters because they look so small. so, is the 15inch that heavy? also, is it true that the 15inch has noisier fan than the 13?

czerney

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Hard to say as weight is in the hand of the beholder! But I personally think the 15" 2018 is very light and I use it everywhere, in the office, on the bed and the extra screen real estate over the 13" is just so much better for being productive. Given you're debating the two I'd almost say that the entry level 15" would be your best bet!

Reactions: SDColorado

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not a woman but I'm not body builder either, as for the 15" MBP, I think its not heavy at all and quite portable.

Reactions: SDColorado

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
This has come up a million times a week.

The keyboards are the same size. So the excuse of 'I am a man, I have big hands' doesn't apply

The 15" is light. The problem with it is, the amount of desk space it takes up. So if you regularly work on small tables at a coffee shop, the 13" might be a better bet for you.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I hope I'm not sounding silly, but I've noticed that its mostly men that has the 15inch MacBook Pro on the forums.. i wanna know for a woman's point of view, what do you guys think of the MacBook Pro 15 inch size wise? is it too big/ heavy? I've never had a 15 inch and currently have a 13inch one but I'm considering the 15 based on the specs it have. Im a small woman, I don't travel often but I worry about the weight of the 15inch. I'm planning on keeping the laptop for a long time, I watch a lot of movies almost everyday on bed or put my laptop on my lap. I use my 13inch right now to play sims 4 from time to time, web surfing, emails, Netflix, sometimes I help my husband with work and I find myself having a hard time reading the letters because they look so small. so, is the 15inch that heavy? also, is it true that the 15inch has noisier fan than the 13?

For all the tasks you mentioned buy the big 12.9 iPad! That is really light, has longer battery life than the MBP, no fan and a bigger (at least higher) screen than the 13" MBP (and it is much cheaper than the 15" MBP)...

Work with it every day. When I need something more powerful and bigger I use my 27" iMac 5k. Only for special situations when no infrastructure is available I take my 2012 MBP 15" with me, and in that case i doesn't matter how big or heavy it is...

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Hard to say as weight is in the hand of the beholder! But I personally think the 15" 2018 is very light and I use it everywhere, in the office, on the bed and the extra screen real estate over the 13" is just so much better for being productive. Given you're debating the two I'd almost say that the entry level 15" would be your best bet!

I’m considering between the 13inch i7 16gb ram 512gb vs the 15inch i7 16gb 512gb. I don’t really use my computer on coffee shop because I have an iPad Pro 10.5 which for me is heavy already. My hands start to hurt after awhile using the iPad Pro, so you can say that’s why I’m so worried about the MacBook pro’s 15inch size and weight for me. There’s no apple store where I live so I can’t even check it in person!
[doublepost=1539177546][/doublepost]
For all the tasks you mentioned buy the big 12.9 iPad! That is really light, has longer battery life than the MBP, no fan and a bigger (at least higher) screen than the 13" MBP (and it is much cheaper than the 15" MBP)...

Work with it every day. When I need something more powerful and bigger I use my 27" iMac 5k. Only for special situations when no infrastructure is available I take my 2012 MBP 15" with me, and in that case i doesn't matter how big or heavy it is...

I have a 10.5 iPad Pro and it is heavy for me, after a while of using it my hand starts to hurt. Also I would need to play my sims 4 from time to time lol
[doublepost=1539177587][/doublepost]
I'm not a woman but I'm not body builder either, as for the 15" MBP, I think its not heavy at all and quite portable.

They said the 15inch fan is noisier than the 13inch one. Is that true??

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

What I can share on this is that back in 2013, I purchased a 13" MBP for myself, thinking that I would love the smaller size and portability of the form factor and sold my 15".

Once the smell of something new wore off, so did the enjoyment of the form factor and I found myself using it less and less due to the constraints of the screen real-estate. I fully understand that it works for some people, but for me, it did not and the unit just sat. I purchased a new 15" to replace it and found myself much happier with the 15"

My wife had an older 15" that was beginning to have some issues, and asked if she could have the 13" since it was sitting unused. She tends to like small/lighter, for example, prefers the iPad Mini over any current version. But after a few months, she also grew tired of the 13". We replaced it with a 15" for her as well and sold the 13".

Your mileage may vary and you may find you prefer the 13" form factor to the 15", but I find the portability of the smaller size and the lower weight comes at the expense of screen real-estate and battery life.

You will need to decide for yourself if the 1lb weight increase of the 15", larger screen and larger battery make up for the smaller and lighter form factor of the 13".

For many it does, for many others, the light weight and size are the most important factors.

Best of luck on whatever you decide and you can always make a swap within 14 days if you feel the road you chose to start off with is the wrong one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To my knowledge the 13" fan be stopped, where as the 15" is always spinning. Most of the time, my 15" MBP is whisper quiet.

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017

I heard the fans on 15 2017 at a normal distance in a quiet room without any load. They are almost silent, but not entirely. On the other hand the 2017 13 touch bar turns off the fans and is completely silent even when they do spin up to a certain point. So the 13 inch has this fan advantage for sure.

I just wouldn't get the 13 inch without touch bar, as they have inferior cooling solution and are noisier during load than the touch bar models. Though maybe Apple will update it this month.

If you have a problem reading on 13 inch mbp, you can decrease the scaled resolution. You don't have to get the 15 inch (unless you need more space).

czerney

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
One thing that also might help you decide is working out how long you really are carrying your laptop, vs how long it's actually sitting on the desk or table in front of you as you use it. Sometime we worry about something we do 5% of the time at the expense of what we do 95% of the time.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.