Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
I am wondering if the temperatures of my MacBook Pro are within the normal specs. Under normal workload (browsing, text editing, etc.) iStats shows this values:

CPU heatsink 50°
GPU 52°
GPU diode 56°

I think the GPU temperature could be a little bit higher, because the MacBook is connected to an LG 5k monitor. But sometimes the value rises up to 63-64 °C, what I find a little strange, since I am not using graphic intensive software (for example games, video editing, …).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
50 degrees is well within normal operating parameters. MBPs tend to run warm but if the temps increase too much the fans spin up

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
50 degrees is well within normal operating parameters. MBPs tend to run warm but if the temps increase too much the fans spin up
Yes, 50 degrees are ok. But why the gpu temperature sometimes gets over 60 degrees without graphic contents/applications, only using iTunes, Word, Safari?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do you mean this? Should the temperatures of the gpu be higher/lower?
It means that as you use the computer, i.e., run programs, the CPU/GPU are working to execute the instructions being sent, that in turn generates heat. Some applications such as encoding 4k video will cause the computer to work hard then say using Safari, so your temps will increase dramatically.

I think you're reading too much into the temps, the computer does a great job at managing the heat and if it gets too warm, it will throttle and then shut down, plus the fans ramp up to manage the heat.

Sorry if my earlier post was awkwardly worded to increase your confusion

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
How do you mean this? Should the temperatures of the gpu be higher/lower?

The max temperature of the CPU and GPU clocks around 95/100C. If it reaches near that (within a few degrees), it'll throttle the performance to reduce the temperatures.

It's not unusual for laptops to get very hot under stress, especially when the dGPU kicks in. If you're not exceeding 85Cs on a daily basis, there's honestly no need for concern with the temperatures.

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
My 2.9 sits pegged at 95 degrees C when transcoding video files that take a couple hours to do. Doesn't seem to make too much difference, other than turbo speeds dropping from 3.4 to around 3.1 GHz.

Having said that my CPU tends to run a bit cooler than yours on very light loads. Maybe my ambient temps are lower? Either way, 50 degrees C is nothing to be at all concerned about.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I've found that external displays can increase the overall running temp (both CPU and GPU sensors) by a noticeable bit on just about every laptop I have owned. As you are using a very high resolution display, I think that would explain it, and it would be pretty easy to test. Compared to previous generation MBPs, 50F is very cool IMO.

Reactions: Sanpete

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
GPU can get invoked by the smallest things, like a stupid ad playing on a web page, watching youtube video, etc.
[doublepost=1487720303][/doublepost]
I've found that external displays can increase the overall running temp (both CPU and GPU sensors) by a noticeable bit on just about every laptop I have owned. As you are using a very high resolution display, I think that would explain it, and it would be pretty easy to test. Compared to previous generation MBPs, 50F is very cool IMO.

Pretty sure all temps are in Centigrade

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
GPU can get invoked by the smallest things, like a stupid ad playing on a web page, watching youtube video, etc.
[doublepost=1487720303][/doublepost]

Pretty sure all temps are in Centigrade

Crap. I meant C but my hands pressed F by habit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.