Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lowvyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Only yesterday, I installed several themes to my MBP to change the look of the interface. Being the happy-go-lucky person I am, I completely forgot about compatibility issues and went on to download even those that aren't compatible with my OS, Lion.

I installed the themes, and the interface screwed up. Have a look:

The close, minimise and maximise buttons that is supposed to be on the top-left corner of every window isn't there, and the whole address bar, as well as the various buttons around it, has this weird question mark symbol with 'CUI' on top of it. This affects the scrollbar too. My scrollbar, instead of the default black one, is now full of the question marks and CUIs.

I've tried Time Machine, but I realised I haven't set it up before (forgive me). Then I tried to restore my system's OS using the cmd+R utility function, but every time I did that it just says "Could not find installation information for this machine. Please contact AppleCare."

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention that I've already deleted those themes, but the problems still remain.

Last edited:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
looks funny

do you have a license for OSX Lion? If you bought it in the App store, you have to create a bootable USB device or something like that.

Lowvyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
looks funny

do you have a license for OSX Lion? If you bought it in the App store, you have to create a bootable USB device or something like that.

I'm sure I have ... I purchased it legally from a reseller. I don't have the DVD for the OS installation, though.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I'm sure I have ... I purchased it legally from a reseller. I don't have the DVD for the OS installation, though.

So the laptop came with Lion installed? Then you should contact AppleCare or find an Apple store and have them help you with reinstalling your system.

Lowvyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
So the laptop came with Lion installed? Then you should contact AppleCare or find an Apple store and have them help you with reinstalling your system.

Yep. Pre-installed. I haven't signed up for AppleCare... I just came back from an Apple store. Turns out there's a charge of $150. Do I really have to pay so much just for this?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Bump ... Please help

Boot in Safe Mode (hold down Shift key immediately after start) and delete the themes. Then reboot and see if that fixed your problem.

Call AppleCare and ask about setting up a recovery partition.

Lowvyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Boot in Safe Mode (hold down Shift key immediately after start) and delete the themes. Then reboot and see if that fixed your problem.

Call AppleCare and ask about setting up a recovery partition.

Deleting the themes in Safe Mode did not work :/

Lowvyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
ALRIGHT! I solved the problem myself. No need for AppleCare. Thanks to all of you who replied! :)

To all who stumbled upon this page either through Google or otherwise, here's what I did: Since uninstalling the themes did not help, I installed another theme (this time the CrystalClear interface) to overwrite my existing, broken theme. The new theme replaced my interface completely, and this was a good sign. I then went on to uninstall CrystalClear interface using the Uninstaller provided, rebooted my MBP, and voila! Everything is back to normal.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Yep. Pre-installed. I haven't signed up for AppleCare... I just came back from an Apple store. Turns out there's a charge of $150. Do I really have to pay so much just for this?

Lol, what kind of apple store was that?

The most expensive solution should be a $69 USB stick with a Lion installer on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.