Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
Hi everyone I have a dilemma that I would appreciate your help with, I edit videos freelance and we are working towards doing this full time, we shoot video on GH5 cameras and other potential 4K cameras that are capable for 4K 60fps and also raw.

I currently use a iMac 2017 4.2ghz i7 with ssd and its fine for now but I'm working towards getting an iMac pro or a Mac Pro if they ever release the updated version as this will have the power we require to turnaround things as quickly as we want a little further down the line.

So my question is do you think I can get away with the new 2018 MacBook pros with their 6 cores if I sell my iMac to fund it. Then I can just work towards the iMac Pro/Mac Pro and once I get that I won't have to think about a laptop. However if I keep the iMac I still need to work towards the MacBook Pro and iMac pro/Mac Pro. We also shoot Multicam usually 3 cameras at the moment so I just wanted to know if you think the new 2018 15" MacBook pros can handle that?

sorry I forgot to add that on geek bench the iMac out performs the MacBook Pro on single core tasks but only multicore the MacBook Pro beats it with its 6 cores. I wonder if its not a long test how would the MacBook fair under transcoding files load or something like that

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Are you on FCPX or one of the other programs? If FCPX go ahead and switch blazin' fast. If you're on Premiere or one of the other dumpster fire programs that don't know how to offload rendering properly, tread lightly.

The very fact you're talking about cores and processors and not GPU makes me think you're on one of the slow programs (FCPX uses the GPU, hence it being 800 billion [quadrillion? zillion?] times better).

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
iMac no doubt, it has a desktop CPU instead of a laptop one, which can reach higher Ghz while not getting too hot unlike the MBP. The iMac screen is awesome too, and you'll be able to work a little better with video editing on that bigger screen.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
Are you on FCPX or one of the other programs? If FCPX go ahead and switch blazin' fast. If you're on Premiere or one of the other dumpster fire programs that don't know how to offload rendering properly, tread lightly.

The very fact you're talking about cores and processors and not GPU makes me think you're on one of the slow programs (FCPX uses the GPU, hence it being 800 billion [quadrillion? zillion?] times better).
Sorry yes I'm on FCPX the I know about the GPU situation and I'll have to take the hit there however as everything we shoot is usually 4k we need to transcode the footage to create proxies and also optimised footage hence why I'm asking about the CPU and this is until maybe 14 months from now when should be able to afford iMac pro or something of that level
[doublepost=1536969617][/doublepost]
iMac no doubt, it has a desktop CPU instead of a laptop one, which can reach higher Ghz while not getting too hot unlike the MBP. The iMac screen is awesome too, and you'll be able to work a little better with video editing on that bigger screen.
Yes I'm aware that the iMac is a desktop CPU what I'm trying to figure out is if I can get by with the mobile 6 core chip for a year or so until I can afford the iMac Pro/Mac Pro as thats the ultimate goal desktop wise. So if by the time I can afford that I already have a pretty decent laptop its one less thing to think about

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Sorry yes I'm on FCPX the I know about the GPU situation and I'll have to take the hit there however as everything we shoot is usually 4k we need to transcode the footage to create proxies and also optimised footage hence why I'm asking about the CPU and this is until maybe 14 months from now when should be able to afford iMac pro or something of that level
[doublepost=1536969617][/doublepost]
Yes I'm aware that the iMac is a desktop CPU what I'm trying to figure out is if I can get by with the mobile 6 core chip for a year or so until I can afford the iMac Pro/Mac Pro as thats the ultimate goal desktop wise. So if by the time I can afford that I already have a pretty decent laptop its one less thing to think about
You obviously can as the MBP is powerful enough to do that, it does heat a lot though.

Reactions: Rasta4i

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
t
You obviously can as the MBP is powerful enough to do that, it does heat a lot though.
thank you, I've decided to stick with the iMac and add a MacBook 12" and just use it to trim down my projects mostly while using fcpx as that takes me the most time and the other things I need todo outside of fcpx

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
you could always add a eGPU if going a macbook pro route no? Not sure if that defeats the purpose for u or what.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
you could always add a eGPU if going a macbook pro route no? Not sure if that defeats the purpose for u or what.
yeah unfortunately it does as I'm to be able to afford an iMac pro by late next year or maybe Mac Pro, so what I'm wondering is if the 2018 MacBook Pro is enough until I can afford the iMac pro without buying lots of additions because once the desktop arrives the laptop will just be for when I'm not at my desk...

Reactions: elhungarian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.