Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sublime.187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
Hey all,

I've read up on quite a few posts on the Mac charging issues but still can't seem to find an answer.

OK firstly, if the power supply is 96W why doesn't the Mac charge at a high wattage?

When I look at the battery health app it says its only charging at 5.2 watts, so the Mac dies fast even when plugged in?

If I plug the charger in another port it will either charge at a slightly higher or lower wattage but Ive never seen it get over 15 watts.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.33.17 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.33.17 am.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 327

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Are using the provided Apple charger AND USB-C cable that came with the 16" MBP? The charger, cable, and computer each can determine the rate of charge.

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Try installing iStat and see what it reports. Also give an SMC reset a shot and if that does not work then you might have a bad hardware inside that regulate the USB-C PD.

Sublime.187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
Yes I'm using the factory charger and cable it came with, and I've reset the SMC VRam etc with no avail.
It's getting quite annoying as my 2014 MBP seems to run better than my brand new 2019 MBP with higher specs.

Doesn't look like any issues with power draining as Idont have any apps open.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does it really take 15 hours (or whatever time the app reports) for the battery to charge? Perhaps the app is wrong.

Sublime.187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
Absolutely. It takes a very long time.. A little quicker if the computer is shut down.. Doesn't seem to charge while in sleep mode.

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Bring it back to apple, definitely hardware issue with the power regulator. USB-C PD starts with 5 Watts of power before negotiating with the adapter to increase the Wattage & Amperage. Before you bring it back might be worth to test with other USB-C PD charger just to rule out adapter issue.

Sublime.187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I will take back to apple as soon as we are aloud to leave our homes.
Maybe the laptop has Covid. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.