Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kolvac_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Hey everyone, I just received my LG UltraFine 4K monitor today but unfortunately, my mbp 16'' just got much hotter as soon as connected to the monitor.
Normally, the CPU temperature is around 40° without load,but with the monitor the CPU temperature is always around 65° even when there wasn't any tasks, and even got over 80° when I see a youtube video.
I have tried to re-connect and restart my computer for many times it just won't work.
Could anyone give me some suggestions about how to deal with this problem? Thanks a lot!

PS: My mbp 16'' is running on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, with 2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7

Attachments

• 截屏2021-10-01 下午12.23.14.png
    截屏2021-10-01 下午12.23.14.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 324
Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read, whenever a Macbook pro with discrete GPU is connected to an external monitor, the discrete GPU will be used all the time, resulting in more heat.

Reactions: Kolvac_S

Kolvac_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read, whenever a Macbook pro with discrete GPU is connected to an external monitor, the discrete GPU will be used all the time, resulting in more heat.
Yeah from what I have read about, you are right. Maybe we can find ways to ease the problem. Actually I find that "clam shell mode" will ease the problem for a little bit, which make the CPU about 50+° instead of 65+° without heavy task.

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sadly my MBP 16' gets to 80-90 degrees under low load like using safari and what not.
Always been like this, and there's no fix. These machines just can't handle any use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.