Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMan111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2020
Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 3.40.03 PM.png

I know it is alittle hard to see, but I am extremely annoyed with this bright spot which is so small but only bright in that area when especially contrasted light colotred backgrounds. It disappears in darker bacjgrounds. I only used this laptop for 2 weeks and its the new MacBook Pro 16inch base model. I have two questions:

i) Is this a dead pixel and will this bright spot spread?
ii) If I continue using it without getting RMA, will this further spread and make the laptop unusable?

I am so confused why this is happening to me... Anyone with this experience please share your thoughts and feedback on this issue. I would appreciate it.

(Just to inform, I am not in a position to get RMA at the moment due to being in a remote area for a project so it will be a least another 1 month ig I want to get it repaired. But I am worried it might spread more).

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Jimmy, that looks like a pressure point that is forcing the back light plane to come through the front of the LCD more aggressively. Likely the result of pressure applied. Apple will likely replace it for you because it would be hard to pinpoint where the pressure occurred whether at the factory shipping or after delivery. But no, it won’t spread.

Reactions: 1204949

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
These are a fault in the LCD that can occur at any age. There is no evidence they are caused by any kind of normal or even aggressive touching or use. I saw a more credible explanation somewhere once but I can’t remember where.

You got a flawed panel and Apple will either replace the screen, or if it’s less than two weeks old, swap it out for a new unit.

If it’s just past the two week return/replace window for new, ask if they will make an exception considering the length of time it could take to get a replacement screen.

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020
Looks definitely like a pressure point to me. I had this with another laptop once after I carried the notebook in a backback full of books. The keycaps made contact with the screen and caused these spots.

There might be other reasons for this to happen, too.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I carried the notebook in a backback full of books. The keycaps made contact with the screen and caused these spots.

There might be other reasons for this to happen, too.
That is a big problem with this new MBPs since 2016. The lcd lid is so thin, that Apple refused to install lightning logo as previous models. Because that would be a problem like glowing circle in the middle of the screen. So this new MBPs hate traveling in a backpack with something else like book and etc. Have to be pretty gentle with this things. Sometimes annoying, because laptops supposed to serve us and not vice versa.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
what do you mean by this comment, very unclear

I think the poster means that now you've noticed its there, you'll won't be able to forget about it and your eye will be drawn to it, so its best to get it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.