Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiatono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2020
First and foremost, this is not the same thing as a backlight bleed issue. This is an issue, with the light leaking through the rubber lining and display.

So I’m currently on my second exchange unit. My first unit had light bleeding between the rubber lining and display on the bottom right corner (1st Pic). My second unit, now has the same issue on the upper left hand side of the laptop (2nd pic)

Saw some old forums, and post who have had this issue on the older mbp models, but haven’t seen any forums or posts with people having the same issue as me with the MacBook Pro 16. It’s very noticeable, when watching dark scenes. You can test it out as well, on your MacBook, by watching a dark / black scene and putting the display brightness up to 100%. Seems to be a quality control issue.

Has anyone else has experienced the same issue, with their MBP 16?
Should I go for a third replacement?
Is this considered normal?
This is just very frustrating. I’m debating just returning the laptop.A $3k computer, should not be having issues, such as these. Even , $300 window pc’s have better quality control, than this lol.

Attachments

• 99648F9B-03B7-43B7-9498-54A6D3F9CCA5.jpeg
    99648F9B-03B7-43B7-9498-54A6D3F9CCA5.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 702
  • 60CE5EE1-15C8-497C-AE13-1EEE8D402A1E.jpeg
    60CE5EE1-15C8-497C-AE13-1EEE8D402A1E.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Personally that’s not normal to me. I don’t know much about these models but I would absolutely not accept that under any circumstances. That’s just unacceptable quality control.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
If its bad, return it. If not, I doubt you'd be using your display in max brightness in the dark for most other times!

Reactions: tiatono

Starcrowl

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
Yes i have that problem on my MBP 2017, replaced it 2 times with a new screen but still the same, even worse. I suggest you to return it if you can.

tiatono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2020
Personally that’s not normal to me. I don’t know much about these models but I would absolutely not accept that under any circumstances. That’s just unacceptable quality control.
100% agree, with you. I'm gonna exchange it out, if it is in stock. If not, I might just return it.
[automerge]1589892402[/automerge]
If its bad, return it. If not, I doubt you'd be using your display in max brightness in the dark for most other times!
The thing is the light bleed on this second unit, is visible even at 50% brightness. Its just so frustrating, dealing with these QC issues from apple :(.
[automerge]1589892762[/automerge]
Yes i have that problem on my MBP 2017, replaced it 2 times with a new screen but still the same, even worse. I suggest you to return it if you can.

2 times, and still the same issue? I am so sorry, that's ridiculous. Apple needs to get their Quality Control department in check. I was gonna go ahead, and try to exchange this second unit out, if its in stock. But, now I am afraid the third unit might have the same issue or even worse :(. Returning it, as you stated is most likely the better option. Sucks though :(.

Last edited:

felipefgoncalves

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2021
I purchased my brand new MacBook Air M1 (16gb, 512 SSD and 8-core GPU) in April, 2021.
One week later after opening it, I had the same issue as below at the almost top left corner.

Screenshot_1.png

I'm gonna replace it as soon as I can, because I'm still under the 1-year warranty from Apple. It's very frustrating because we expend so much on these machines. Mine was $1,449.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.