Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
i brought my old macbook pro 17" early 2008 from storage to try and use it (bought new ram and ssd to install on it) however i found it wouldnt turn on. firstly i assume the battery after 10 years must be dead already (not very noticeable but bloated) so i try to boot it up from the adapter with the dead battery already removed. the magsafe light is green, and pressing the power button i hear some brief whirring and clicks (im guessing the fans and the optical drive) but it stops there. no keyboard lights, no monitor activity, no beeps. i have tried long-pressing the power button prior to attaching the magsafe adapter while continuing to press the power, then tried normal power on, but no response. any suggestions on i can do next?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
The MagSafe light isn't a reliable indicator of a good connection. You might check the port and the connector to see if they look clean--they often accumulate dirt or whatever. (I suppose you could also try putting the battery back in, in case its lack is confusing the machine. Try letting it charge a little, unless it looks like might leak or something.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.