Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
SOLVED
SUPPORT SOFTWARE FOUND HERE

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a 17" Macbook Pro (2.3 i7- early 2011)

This thing has two graphics cards: An Intel, and an AMD
(AMD is 1gb VRAM, Intel is 512mb)

Anywho, so I've been playing Borderlands 2 on Steam (on Windows) for the last few weeks on my 13" just fine. I got my 17" today and installed my drive and such, go to open Borderlands 2 and I get an Error

"Your video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets (D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F), which is required to run this game. Exiting.."

Any idea on how to fix this? I assume the problem lies within the graphic switching of the laptop or something like that.. is there a program or way in general to set a specific card to be running?

Really have no idea what to do at this moment; I don't know too much about Windows.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
The 2011 MBP has a dedicated AMD GPU (dGPU) and an integrated graphics processor (IGP) from Intel:

This system has dual graphics processors -- an AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1 GB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory. The system automatically switches between graphics systems based on use (when applications use OpenGL, Core Graphics or other graphically demanding technologies, the system will use the dedicated graphics card, otherwise it will use Intel HD Graphics to conserve battery life).
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-17-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

Have you tried gfxCardStatus to switch between dGPU and IGP?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
The 2011 MBP has a dedicated AMD GPU (dGPU) and an integrated graphics processor (IGP) from Intel:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-17-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

Have you tried gfxCardStatus to switch between dGPU and IGP?

I know about that for Mac, but that program doesn't work for Windows.
I know about the two different cards, but I assume they are what is causing this problem on Windows. (I got it to work fine on Mac, but I need it to work on Windows.)

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
You can only use your dGPU in Windows if you have 2 GPUs. It sounds like your AMD GPU is not supported.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
You can only use your dGPU in Windows if you have 2 GPUs. It sounds like your AMD GPU is not supported.

It must be supported because while running Steam on Mac it uses the AMD to run games. How could Steam support AMD while on Mac, but not while on Windows?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Bootcamp only uses the dgpu. The igpu isn't even detected by windows. I'd try reinstalling the video card drivers from AMD and reinstalling borderlands 2. Steam is not the issue. All steam does is manage the game files for you.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I have an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro that was able to run Steam games fine in Windows (I've since given this computer to my wife).

Have you updated your video drivers? I would go here and get the correct updated drivers for your card:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Literally just tried to do that before seeing your message and I went to install the driver and it tells me that my "computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter"

???

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Does the Radeon show up in OS X?

Edit: Just noticed that you said Borderlands works in OS X, but was that using the Radeon or just the Intel?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Does the Radeon show up in OS X?

Edit: Just noticed that you said Borderlands works in OS X, but was that using the Radeon or just the Intel?

Radeon. As soon as I start up Steam/Borderlands it switches from Intel to AMD (as it should)

Windows seems to not even recognize it for what it is specifically, just a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"
If I go into details it says I only have 16mb of usable Video Memory, which obviously is not true.

----------

Just looked at Apple's Bootcamp Support Software downloads and it looks like they released one just a few days ago for some specific models (including mine)

Downloading that right now to see if that will help anything. Fingers crossed!

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Good, so it's definitely not a hardware issue. Good luck with the drivers!

All better!

I guess my timing was perfect on this one, seeing as I've been in the market for a 17" for at least a month now, and now that I finally got one, Apple just released the remedy for this 5 days ago.

Anywho, here is a link to the support software for any future problem-goers.
What a loop this was; I tried everything I could think of, including altering the program files.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macoscomponents

Thank you for all the support!

Case closed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.