Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fmalvar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
Hey there!

So I upgraded my MBP hard drive to an SSD. After 4/5 months it would randomly freeze and beep 3x times (RAM from what I have read). Now it keeps freezing after only 1 minute after it starts and doesn´t make any sound. I already did a format of my disk (after 30 attempts, it would just freeze) and cleaned the RAM,

Any suggestions of what I can do next?

Thank you for your time, stay safe!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Yeah, if you're sure you heard and interpreted the beeps correctly, sounds like you need to replace at least one of your RAM sticks.

Reactions: fmalvar

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
It could be anything really, but being a 2010 15" I would put my money on C9560. The usual culprit.

fmalvar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
It could be anything really, but being a 2010 15" I would put my money on C9560. The usual culprit.
I think you´re right... I just changed my SSD to the original hard drive and changed the RAM and still got it freezing, although it got much time before it got "stuck"

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The c9560 usually manifests itself as a kernel panic? I used to have a mid-2010 15" and it would panic when switching from Intel to nVidia graphics. Replaced the bad capacitor and it's been fine for over 1.5 years.

The freezing could be due to a bad sata hard drive cable.

Try booting the computer from an external drive running macOS.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "beep 3 times" signal means... BAD RAM.

I'd suggest that you remove the back cover, then carefully remove the RAM and re-seat it. You might try "swapping the DIMMs around".

If that doesn't work...
Take the DIMMs out and number them "1" and "2".
Put #1 back in, leave #2 out for now.
Just put a few screws in the back cover for now (you'll need to take it off again).
Does it boot and run without beeping?

Then try adding #2.
Does the beeping come back?
Could be that one.

KEEP NOTES so you remember what's going on.
Etc...

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I think you´re right... I just changed my SSD to the original hard drive and changed the RAM and still got it freezing, although it got much time before it got "stuck"
If the new RAM you used hasn't been tested in your machine before and found to work, don't count on it being good either. I don't think I've ever ordered RAM that worked the first time. Always had to return it, and then they'd send the next grade up, and that would work. MBPs are finicky that way.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't think I've ever ordered RAM that worked the first time. Always had to return it, and then they'd send the next grade up, and that would work. MBPs are finicky that way.

I don't know where you're ordering your memory from, but I've never had a problem with ordering memory from OWC or Amazon/Crucial.

fmalvar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
If the new RAM you used hasn't been tested in your machine before and found to work, don't count on it being good either. I don't think I've ever ordered RAM that worked the first time. Always had to return it, and then they'd send the next grade up, and that would work. MBPs are finicky that way.
I tried with the RAM that came original with MBP
[automerge]1587200543[/automerge]
The "beep 3 times" signal means... BAD RAM.

I'd suggest that you remove the back cover, then carefully remove the RAM and re-seat it. You might try "swapping the DIMMs around".

If that doesn't work...
Take the DIMMs out and number them "1" and "2".
Put #1 back in, leave #2 out for now.
Just put a few screws in the back cover for now (you'll need to take it off again).
Does it boot and run without beeping?

Then try adding #2.
Does the beeping come back?
Could be that one.

KEEP NOTES so you remember what's going on.
Etc...
I tried a lot of combinations ?it randomly deeps or freezes

Reactions: Sanpete

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
If you haven't already asked at ifixit, this sounds like something they'd be best for.

I don't know where you're ordering your memory from, but I've never had a problem with ordering memory from OWC or Amazon/Crucial.
I liked to order from the cheaper outlets. I knew it would take longer because I'd probably have to return the first sticks, but I saved a little money.

my 2015 MBP has now started to completely freeze on occasion as well. I'm on 10.15.4. :(

Never did any mods to it.
There are several threads on trouble with 10.15.4, so you might want to check those. Don't know if they include 2015 or only the later models.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I tried a lot of combinations - it randomly deeps or freezes"

OK, one other thing to try:
Try filling JUST ONE of the internal RAM slots.
Leave the other one empty.

See if it will boot that way.
If you get 3 beeps, try moving the RAM to the OTHER slot.

Does this change anything?
Maybe it's THE SLOT that is bad -- not the RAM itself.

fmalvar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
OP wrote:
"I tried a lot of combinations - it randomly deeps or freezes"

OK, one other thing to try:
Try filling JUST ONE of the internal RAM slots.
Leave the other one empty.

See if it will boot that way.
If you get 3 beeps, try moving the RAM to the OTHER slot.

Does this change anything?
Maybe it's THE SLOT that is bad -- not the RAM itself.
Thanks for the help! I think you’re right, maybe is the slot that is damaged. I just tried the rams and the SSD on the Mac and they look fine!

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
If you haven't already asked at ifixit, this sounds like something they'd be best for.

I liked to order from the cheaper outlets. I knew it would take longer because I'd probably have to return the first sticks, but I saved a little money.

There are several threads on trouble with 10.15.4, so you might want to check those. Don't know if they include 2015 or only the later models.

2015 dual graphics 15 inch here and no issues with 10.15.4 at all. Maybe it pertains to the lower model machines.

Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.