Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infantryron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
Macbook Pr (Retina, Mid 2012)
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core I7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics - Intel HD 4000 1536mb
15.4' Display - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB Graphics

1 - Randomly my CPU would start overheating and crash.
1a) It was due to mdsStore constantly running. I was unable to stop this using the typical methods like selecting folders and drives to prevent spotlight from indexing. I ended up having to completely disengage spotlight by disabling SIP and manually stopping indexing for my Mac through the terminal. Since then, the MDS Store issues have been resolved but obviously spotlight is unusable. I am ok with this. I am not ok with #2 and really don't know what to do....

2 - My Mac will refuse to boot up CONSTANTLY! The keyboard will illuminate but no apple logo on the screen and screen remains black. It takes anywhere from 5 - 20 attempts at restarting the Mac for it to go through the startup process. Once it does startup it typically remains on and fully functional (outside of the spotlight feature being completely deactivated). I have tried resetting the ESM & other resets I've found online but still it fixes nothing. Below is the error I got yesterday from when my Mac wouldn't boot and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this. I can't afford to buy another computer and really need this...... Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also included another crash report from August 19th that was generated when the Mac refused to restart or power on.It looks like the same exact issue but I can't figure it out.

** I took my Mac out of my bag today > started right up. THERE LITERALLY IS NO RHYME OR REASON FOR THESE STARTUP/POWERUP ISSUES......

Anonymous UUID: F854139A-D6A8-924E-9928-FA3472418675

Attachments

• Aug 19 Crash.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 331
  • October 15 Crash.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 252

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the laptop is approaching 8 years old, its probably dying a slow and painful death.

I have the 2012 and its a great computer, but at this point I've taken the perspective of it not owing me anything.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is this a retina or a NON-retina MBP?

If it's a non-retina (with a DVD drive), could the internal hard drive be failing on you?
The drive in these models is EASILY replaceable.

Another way to isolate drive-related problems (both drive hardware and the software that's ON the drive) is to use an EXTERNAL BOOT DRIVE to see if the Mac will boot that way.
This is ALWAYS "the first step to take" with a Mac that won't boot.

If it's a non-retina MPB, it might also be the drive ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard (not likely, but possible).

Infantryron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
Likely a failing a logic board.
Man, that is just not what I wanted to hear....... Thank you for your reply
[automerge]1571239424[/automerge]
the laptop is approaching 8 years old, its probably dying a slow and painful death.

I have the 2012 and its a great computer, but at this point I've taken the perspective of it not owing me anything.
You're right about that but it always seems like these things happen at the WORST possible time. This Mac was running like a beast with no issues for so long, never had a need to replace it. Now when replacing is not feasible, its looking like my only option..

Thank you for your reply

Infantryron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019

If it's a non-retina (with a DVD drive), could the internal hard drive be failing on you?

Another way to isolate drive-related problems (both drive hardware and the software that's ON the drive) is to use an EXTERNAL BOOT DRIVE to see if the Mac will boot that way.

If it's a non-retina MPB, it might also be the drive ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard (not likely, but possible).

Do you mean to attempt this when the Mac decides to not boot? Like now, I am currently using the Mac. It powered on first time go. Booted right up and is acting perfect. Once I am done working, I will either shut the computer screen or power down > than its a 50/50 chance of it turning on at a later point in the day when I need to use it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're right about that but it always seems like these things happen at the WORST possible time
imo, the rMBP (2012) model was the pinnacle of design, and function. Everything since has failed to live up to such a great design. I'm not knocking the 13, 14 or 2015 MBPs, far from it, but 2012 was the absolute best. The newer design (2016+) placed form over function and imo took a giant step backwards

Infantryron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
imo, the rMBP (2012) model was the pinnacle of design, and function. Everything since has failed to live up to such a great design. I'm not knocking the 13, 14 or 2015 MBPs, far from it, but 2012 was the absolute best. The newer design (2016+) placed form over function and imo took a giant step backwards
And that is the exact reason why I would hate to let this thing go if there was a possibility of salvaging it. Perhaps it will keep performing for awhile before officially quitting. Ive already backed all my files to the cloud, just waiting for the funeral now I guess.
[automerge]1571241558[/automerge]
Can anyone explain what the log files Ive posted mean in simple terms?

Reactions: maflynn

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012

Honestly, I will agree with you about the '16-'18. However, as much as I bitched about it, I slowly transitioned to all USB-C peripherals including external HDs and monitors (and now iPads for monitors with Sidecar), the '19 has slowly restored my faith in the new design and I love it as much as I loved (and still love) the 2012 design.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I had the 2011 MBP and the 2012 rMBP. I experienced the same issues with my 2011 but not my 2012. These models had similar issues with the graphics card failing. At one point they were eligible for repair, but that has long since expired.

I downgraded to a 2012 cMBP which I am typing this message on! This model is still going strong! 🤞

argo900

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Italy
I agree: MBP 2012 are not eligible anymore for repair but as the machine is an excellent notebook with still many years to go, I suggest an easy check at an Apple service.
I don’t know the local cost to change the gr. card but usually (here, Italy) it’s no more than 250$ (not in Apple official network). I think is a good choice.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
I agree -- I have a 2012 15" RMBP and find that Catalina runs amazingly well on it. A friend brought his 2018 15" MBP and we couldn't tell the difference between the screens (except that the newer machine would get brighter than the older one, but that isn't an issue since the 2012 machine is plenty bright). The keyboard works wonderfully (unlike my Macbook 2017), the machine is more than fast enough for my uses, and it is a joy to work on. Hope it lasts until Apple replaces its clunky keyboards.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Was it that model with lots of gpu problems?

For the op get a time machine backup asap and then try disk utility diagnostics but it may be gpu.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Was it that model with lots of gpu problems?

For the op get a time machine backup asap and then try disk utility diagnostics but it may be gpu.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
For my 2012 RMBP, I had downloaded an app that lets you switch the gpu on and off (if off, it uses the CPU). When I updated to Catalina, a note appeared on screen when I booted up saying that app (forgot its name) can harm the computer, i.e. the gpu in all likelihood. I wonder whether some of the issues with the GPU on that RMBP are due to the use of that or similar apps. In any case, I have never had any issues with the GPU or anything else on my now 7 1/2 year old machine.

adventurer2112

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
Illinois
Hi,
‘My logic board was diagnosed for swapout by the Ormand Apple store.
‘instead I sent. It into the Rossman group.$325.00 and it is fixed and I can play Civ6 on low settings.
Jack

MrkJensen

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Hi
I have a mid 2012 MBP Retina with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB and until recently it was running perfectly with 2 32"monitors. But suddenly something happened and it got very slow when both monitors was on, kernel_task bursted to 150%+. I changed to a smaller 23" monitor and same result with the kernel_task. Updated to Catalina and same issue.

Anyone have an idea what could be the issue and if it can be fixed?

This is a killer machine there have been running 12hours+ everyday for 7years, traveling around the world countless times, absolute brilliant machine. -no I do not bring the monitors when I travel :)

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Standard process of elimination:
If this one has dual graphic cards (do not remember for 2012) :
1. Does it happen on internal display only when running on Intel graphics? Make sure that nothing which would require discrete (NVIDIA) graphics card is running. If not, Intel graphic card is OK.
2. Force use of NVIDIA card on internal display (find some software which forces discrete graphics), does it still happen? If not, NVIDIA card is OK.
This should tell you if it is related to both or one of the graphic card systems... External displays always use discrete (NVIDIA) graphs. Internal can use built in Intel (if available) or discrete (NVIDIA) as needed.

3. Find some external USB3 disk, format and install clean macOS on that drive. Boot of that drive and check, is it still happening?
If not, it is something in software. In that case you will need to look in what you have installed - possibly start with clean system and add stuff slowly there. Until you install whatever is misbehaving. It can even be something obsolete you forgot about and do not need...
If yes, it is hardware.

FYI: Size of external monitors plays no role, it is resolution which loads the computer more or less. Make sure you are running natural resolution of the displays (e.g., 1920x1080) and not some weirdly scaled version. If the resolution is somewhere in between, the system has to resample image from that resolution to the native display resolution and that takes some horse power which the system may not have.

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Sounds very similar to my issues with same model, frustrating as anything Random boot reliability (well screen on it turns out) and sometimes it appeared to be overheating same symptoms you describe. Even down to the ”its fixed” for no reason occasioanlly (slight pressure on the case/logic board it turned out but it lasted)

It turned out to be a simple U8900 Buck converter resolder was needed and after a cheapish repair ~£150 (my eyesight wasn’t good enough to do it myself) its been working for a year like new.I believe apples fix was to put some rubber or similar on top of the chip on it to “press” it down more which was why me pressing on the keyboard hard occasionally worked.

I’d installed the gfxcardstatus gpu switcher (I thought it was the gpu overheating at first) for ages and that worked enough to get some work done but it progressively got worse until I narrowed down the cause (Louis Rossman YouTube video YouTube link), I was amazed at the poor quality of the solder originally used, soft like play doh.

Last edited:

TheHessian

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014

Hey There! Thanks for the thoughts . My 2012 non retina (mojovi ) has been freezing simply by what appears to be inactivity . If nothing is running and I don't touch it long enough , bam! it freezes! I end up having to choke it with power switch , and turn it back on ( oddly, after it comes back on it by-passes my admin login page half the time) My crash report reads "Compressor32bitd , then the date" I'm afraid I don't know what that means, The only thing I've done differently has been to use "sleep mode" rather than full shut fully when not in use (which I've stopped doing . I'm going to trade out the hard drive (running a 240gb ssd , I keep running out of space and having to shuffle things around to an external drive. I've purchased a new full TB samsung. the ribbon is in good shape, I checked under the hood recently . However, it does seem to run hot for a computer with two fans! I did a diagnostic with mac fan control and it seemed ok though. The main app I tend to use that runs hot is "handbrake" for transcoding. Also , I've got two 8gb ram chips that are showing ok. Sorry about the information, just trying to be thorough. I'll let you know how the ssd change goes. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks -
Hess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.