Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulp1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Hi guys, quick question;

Would you buy a used 2015 MacBook Air 13” with 4GB, 256GB hard disk, 1.6 ghz.

Or a used 2013 MacBook Pro with retina screen, 4GB, 128 hard disk, 2.4 ghz. 300 more on the battery cycle count

They are both around the same price. The MacBook Pro suffers from a bit of staingate, but I can get that fixed by Apple.

Or finally, should I go for a 2013/2014 8GB MacBook Air for about $100 less. Does the 8GB make a big difference?

Thanks.

D

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
I would not buy anything with 4 GB today. I prefer to use multiple apps and I easily use 8 GB with occasional higher use. Chrome will easily use most of the 4 GB by itself if you let it.

If you only use one app at a time (or multiple simple apps) then you might be fine, but it is easily to run out of memory. The newer models of the Air come with 8 GB standard where it used to be an upgrade, which reflects the common memory demands today (The Pros can be customized with 32 GB). Your 4 GB might not get you very far today or in the future.

You can check your current machine to see how much memory you use, and can get a better idea about 4 GB being enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.