Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleluva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2021
I have a MacBook 2015 Big Sur; if I close it for a few hours, the battery dies completely. Please note- I already tried most of the solutions Google suggested; please how do I fix this?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is this the original battery?
How good is your battery life?
Can you use it most of the day before you need to charge?
Or, do you only get a couple of hours, or less?

If you go to your System Information, then to Power, what is listed for Full Charge Capacity, also Cycle Count?

Reactions: mikzn

appleluva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2021
I’ll second @DeltaMac - good chance the battery is failing - if it is over 700 cycles might be good to replace the battery?

I had the same issue - see my post here
I just read your post - my experience is quite different considering my system is in perfect working condition and it doesn't freeze.

Earlier this morning after working I closed the system at about 2am with 100% - but I woke up to 26%

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Yeah that might no be the same

when you say closed the system - do you mean you "shut down" in the apple menu and the battery is draining when completely off?

I did not mention on that post that I knew the battery was going because when I used the MacBook Pro "without" connecting to a power outlet the battery would die very quickly

On the other hand "your comment "When I close" may mean that you are not shutting down and perhaps "closing the lid" - which means the system may be running and using energy and not charging ?

Still worth checking how many cycles you have - you are at the right time frame for a new battery - assuming it is a 2015 MBP ?

Reactions: DeltaMac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I just read your post - my experience is quite different considering my system is in perfect working condition and it doesn't freeze.

Earlier this morning after working I closed the system at about 2am with 100% - but I woke up to 26%
hmm... "Perfect working condition" does not mean that the battery is still good.
Can you post the info that I asked about in my post #2? That will tell you a lot about the health of the battery (perhaps that is all good -- or not), low numbers (or high Cycle Count) may tell you that the battery, although it "works", can be at a point where you might consider replacing the battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.