Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
Should I get a 2015 MBP (2.8 ghz i7 16 go 1 TB or A newer 2017/2018 MBP i9 32gb 1 TB MBP? I am a designer do u think I should get the 2018 for $900 more?

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
As someone who does professional photography and video editing on a 2015 MBP - I can say that it's a great machine. I even have the BASE model with no dedicated GPU and it still gets the job done. HOWEVER, we're more than half way thru 2018... a 2015 will be a legacy machine in about 18 months. Do you really wanna pay that much $$$ for a laptop Apple will stop supporting, or more importantly SERVICING in a year and a half?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
You should not buy a 2015 MBP unless you're on a budget for a $1700 machine, in which case you absolutely should get a 2015 MBP.

But choosing it based on anything but price is not the intelligent decision. The new machines are much better.

bina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
As a designer what apps do you use? i9+32gb sounds overkill.
I use photoshop, illustrator, indesign. Work on .psb files sometimes.
[doublepost=1532472980][/doublepost]
You should not buy a 2015 MBP unless you're on a budget for a $1700 machine, in which case you absolutely should get a 2015 MBP.

But choosing it based on anything but price is not the intelligent decision. The new machines are much better.
As someone who does professional photography and video editing on a 2015 MBP - I can say that it's a great machine. I even have the BASE model with no dedicated GPU and it still gets the job done. HOWEVER, we're more than half way thru 2018... a 2015 will be a legacy machine in about 18 months. Do you really wanna pay that much $$$ for a laptop Apple will stop supporting, or more importantly SERVICING in a year and a half?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I use photoshop, illustrator, indesign. Work on .psb files sometimes.
[doublepost=1532472980][/doublepost]

Apple supports their hardware 5 years after they’re discontinued, and the 2015 15” MBP has JUST been discontinued as of last week (at least the part number that was still on sale).
So support for those 2015s is guaranteed through 2023 at least.

Reactions: ButtUglyJeff

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
Apple supports their hardware 5 years after they’re discontinued, and the 2015 15” MBP has JUST been discontinued as of last week (at least the part number that was still on sale).
So support for those 2015s is guaranteed through 2023 at least.

That's good info! Thank you!

I just know that last year when I took my 2011 in for repair they told me that it is now considered "vintage" and they would longer service it. At that point it was 6 years old.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I am using the top spec 2015 15" for Adobe suite apps that you listed. I wouldn't say they fly on this MBP, but it suffices. I also got an iMac 5K 2017 maxed at studio so I got a slightly biased view since I know how much faster CC can get on a better Mac.

Anyway, the moments that I feel serious slow downs on the 2015 is when a lot of high res raster images are in an AI file; vectors or paths may slow but it takes a very large number of them. Photoshop can be slow when thrown with 16bit larger files and I do destructive adjustments like fast retouching with a Wacom, but it is to be expected on a laptop; and for normal work like prep images for publishing it is okay. InDesign I don't feel it is particularly slow anywhere, since the app uses a lot of caching and the MBP's SSD is fast.

The single biggest advantage of the 2018 is ability of putting 32GB RAM. In the past I have hit the 16GB brick wall with Adobe apps but it doesn't happen often enough to be a concern. But if you do hit those times, lack of RAM doesn't just slow it down but it just halts or freeze. For instance, Distiller can refuse to finish processing a postscript book if there is not enough memory to go through the whole .ps, which can easily go into 16GB+ if lots of un-resampled images are in a hundred pages gallery book. So depending on your work the ability of having 32GB RAM may be hugely beneficial.

You didn't mention you use Lightroom but I thought it is worth noting: LR on the 2015 MBP really chokes. It demands both CPU and GPU power and the bottle neck seems to be above the 2015 spec. I almost always have to go back to my iMac for LR developments when given the choice, the MBP only serves as the mobile importing machine or to do the necessary touches while on the road. On the other hand, LR performance gains is one of the few undisputed advantages of the 2018 i9. You can google tests online to see it, the interface smoothness is only rivalled on the iMac Pro as far as macOS goes.

Last edited:

rubberducker

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
I have just upgraded from a maxed out 2015. There is quite a big performance jump from it to the i9 - so if you are earning money from the machine I would definitely spend that extra 900 bucks on the 2018 machine. It will pay for itself and then some in the time you own it.

bina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
The reason why I mostly wanted to get a 2015 is because of the ports. Keyboard works good. No touchbar. Inside parts are not soldered together. I heard u can’t recover data from a 2018. True? Isn’t the 2015 easier to get data off when it breaks?

rubberducker

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly, the ports thing is so overcooked. Four ultra fast ports is far better than some older legacy ports. Believe I use them all the time for editing video. Carrying a small multi-port dongle with you is a small price to pay for all the added convenience and speed of thunderbolt 3. And as for the keyboard I much prefer the new one. It feels tactic and crisp - and makes the 2015 feel mushy and imprecise.

The touch bar is neither a plus or a minus. I never really use it (outside of volume and brightness) but I wouldn't NOT buy a laptop just because it has it.

Other opinions are of course available.

Reactions: Stux

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
That's good info! Thank you!

I just know that last year when I took my 2011 in for repair they told me that it is now considered "vintage" and they would longer service it. At that point it was 6 years old.

Indeed, the 2011 was only for sale for one year. The 2015 lasted on sale for three.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Port situation is relative. Some people absolutely need direct SD access, an always ready USB-A port (or two). Some others do presentations in random places where you can expect a HDMI projector 80% of the time. If your workflow doesn't fall into that then it is a matter of preference. TB3 has substantial improvements over TB2, not just in bandwidth but the power delivery ability via USB-C etc.

Keyboard is probably the deal breaker if your work rely on typing accuracy, and that you can't even waste 2 weeks of adjustment to get used to. Also the relative comfort of shorter key travel is justifiably arguable.

At this point in time, since the 2018 MBP's throttling issue is sorted out, and that the KB has extra condom layer that hopefully means reliability is fixed, I would say 2018 has way too many advantages over 2015 to make it even a difficult choice. Unless you can score a really cheap 2nd hand or refurb deal on the 2015.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally have a hard time recommending spending a lot of money on 3 year old technology. While not perfect, I think the 2018 model is the best approach, if not that, then maybe another maker's computer, i.e., Dell, Razer, MSI, etc.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I personally have a hard time recommending spending a lot of money on 3 year old technology. While not perfect, I think the 2018 model is the best approach, if not that, then maybe another maker's computer, i.e., Dell, Razer, MSI, etc.

For graphic designers and other tech professionals, sure, but the vast majority of users will be served just fine by 3 year old tech for the right price. We’ve reached a point of diminishing returns in computer processing power growth relative to cost. Its why Macbook Airs are still champs for most Macbook owners who don’t need the latest chips and GPUs (not to mention the more useful ports of older machines, USB-C has most certainly not caught on yet for most users).

If I upgrade my 2013 Air it will be to a 2015 13” Pro that I have access to which was purchased for $1250 new at the beginning of the year (i5 256gb 16gb ram). If I needed it for heavy video or graphic work I’d choose differently, but not 1/100 users need it for that, Mac forums skew heavily to that demo (or at least armchair “pros”).

If I were suggesting a new Macbook purchase to an average computer using friend today, it would be the touchbarless 2018 13” MB Pro only once it has been updated with the new processors and more reliable keyboard. Otherwise I would suggest they wait a few months to see what else Apple had up their sleeve. The current machines are overpriced compared to more feature-rich models of years past (ports, keyboard [reliability and travel], battery life, Magsafe, even the lit logo and more reasonably sized trackpad).

I couldn’t in good conscience recommend any Macbook 12” or 2016-2017 MB Pro of any type, knowing the keyboard is unreliable and repairs could cost $700+, and entail a massive hassle even under warranty. Apple breached Macbook buyers trust over the past three years and they are just now taking the steps to rectify it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but the vast majority of users will be served just fine by 3 year old tech for the right price.
For the right price, yes. Apple charges a premium and you could get a 2015 MBP from them near the price of the 2018 model, and that's just crazy to me.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Last week there were 2015 15" with dgpu 16BG + 512GB selling on eBay at $1500 or so. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

vtgeek

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Went from having 2013/2015 13 inchers to a new one. I do IT support and I am not in the least worried about the ports as I was two years ago. Really quite convenient and fast. Get the 2018. Even if you spend less on a lower spec model its going to destroy the 2015. The true tone screen is nice too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.