Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geachy92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
UK
The last couple of days or so my MBP has suddenly got these weird shadows at the bottom of the display (picture attached). It hasn’t been dropped, stepped on, hit, or damaged at all.

Anyone else had this issue previously?

Attachments

• 3D93D1A5-A882-4C5E-9FEA-1C7B72528614.jpeg
    3D93D1A5-A882-4C5E-9FEA-1C7B72528614.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 389

geachy92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
UK

geachy92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
UK
Make Apple fix it.

Show them this video:

Show them this website: http://flexgate.me

Make sure you sign this petition

If they won't fix it for free onsite call Apple customer support and demand they repair it.

Out of curiosity - how often do you open the lid - and when you do, how far do you normally open it?

Luckily I have AppleCare so don’t need to have any protracted arguments over getting them to fix it.

I’m a pretty light user. I’ve had it since December 2016 when the re-design came out. I don’t use it every day but use it most days. For the last 6 months I’ve been using it clamshelled a lot as I built a new USB-C hub desk setup. When I do open it up I very rarely go all the way back.
[doublepost=1548669288][/doublepost]
Ouch...

Display failure...

Hopefully you have AppleCare and/or Apple makes it right and replaces it...so that it can happen again.

Yeah my concern is that this will just re-occur in another couple of years. I kept my last MacBook Pro for 6 years and it was in perfect condition for me to still sell it on for 20% of its value after all that time. Not sure I’ll be so lucky with this generation...

W1cH099

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Guatemala
When I do open it up I very rarely go all the way back.

Ouch this really worries me to be hones I bought by not open it all the way I could avoid the issue but seems like its just a matter of time, I just wonder why there aren't that many reports if this compared to the number of macbook sold brought 2016 and 2017 there should be a lot more complaints just like the keyboard issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.