Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinhpham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Hi,

My MacBook Pro 2016 says 100% charge in the menu bar icon. However, when I check in system information, the mAh number of charge remaining does not reach the number of Fully charge capacity:

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 4.12.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 4.12.44 PM.png

What is happening here? Am I having any battery problems?

Thanks,

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
There's some variability from charge to charge, early on at least. Keep checking to see if it catches up. If not, that could be a problem.

Reactions: thinhpham

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Hi,

My MacBook Pro 2016 says 100% charge in the menu bar icon. However, when I check in system information, the mAh number of charge remaining does not reach the number of Fully charge capacity:

View attachment 686941

View attachment 686942

Thanks,
It is normal. When you switch off your MacBook and it is not connected to any power source there is always a little amount of energy consumption because there is a small current from battery to the electronic circuits. So when you switch on again your MacBook the battery is fully charged (in your case 4308mA) and it is not charging because its charging level is above the threshold. When the level will be below the threshold it starts to recharge and for example let me add that before you disconnect the power supply be sure that it reaches the maximum. Just for your info the maximum level is not at 100% because macOS tells you 100% but the battery is still charging to reach the maximum level that could be equal to the full charge capacity. If the full charge capacity is < to the manufacturing charge capacity then your battery life is decreasing. For example the battery capacity of a 13 MacBook Pro 2016 with touchbar is 4310mA.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Totally normal and nothing to worry about. What happens is when the battery is fully charged the system stops charging until the battery drops down a little bit again... then it starts charging again. The OS fudges that battery percentage to 100% when this is happening, I suspect so people don't worry about it.

You can see in my screenshot how my battery is really at 97.5% but the OS is showing 100%.

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 8.12.06 AM.png

Last edited:

Reniboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Yes. I get this problem as well. It's one of two things. Apple might have deliberately prevented the new Mac from charging to the full capacity to prolong the battery lifespan. The second possibility is that new computers are likely to experience some variation in full charge capacity more often. Not something you should be worried about.

Reactions: thinhpham
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.