Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Hello,
have MacBook Pro 13" 2016 without TB. I have a problem with key 'V'. Sometimes it's too loud, sometimes it's OK.

My question is: have you got any idea to fix that or do I must send macbook to apple service?

Thank you.

Last edited:

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
Update:

Yes, that's one of the issues I had.

The issue is how the keyboard's designed, there's a metal piece underneath the keys that produce a popping sound sometimes when the laptop's warm. I had a similar problem in addition to a faulty key which double typed the letters or sometimes didn't type anything at all. I eventually scheduled an appointment with the Apple Store Genius Bar and they shipped it out for repair.

I got the unit back with a different keyboard, 2017 model and I have not had this problem since. So having it repaired is my main suggestion to you. It took Apple 6 days to get it back to me and I live in Hawaii.

If you want to test the heat issue, download and install smcFanControl and set the fans to run at a speed to keep your temps down. If you notice that the popping sounds disappear, then that's what I was describing. But in the end I will still suggest you have it repaired for a more permanent fix. Hawaii's quite warm all year long, so a heat related problem will show up often for me.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: keysofanxiety

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
IF a given key is producing something that the others are not, it can't hurt to have apple check it out.

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
The link doesn't work but I think I understand your problem.

The issue is how the keyboard's designed, there's a metal piece underneath the keys that produce a popping sound sometimes when the laptop's warm. I had a similar problem in addition to a faulty key which double typed the letters or sometimes didn't type anything at all. I eventually scheduled an appointment with the Apple Store Genius Bar and they shipped it out for repair.

I got the unit back with a different keyboard, 2017 model and I have not had this problem since. So having it repaired is my main suggestion to you. It took Apple 6 days to get it back to me and I live in Hawaii.

If you want to test the heat issue, download and install smcFanControl and set the fans to run at a speed to keep your temps down. If you notice that the popping sounds disappear, then that's what I was describing. But in the end I will still suggest you have it repaired for a more permanent fix. Hawaii's quite warm all year long, so a heat related problem will show up often for me.

I hope this helps.

Hello, sorry, I updated link.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Welcome to the club, you're not alone. This has been happening all over, there's a 60+ page thread on these forums alone with people suffering from a malfunctioning keyboard. The only fix is to take it to an Apple store and insist on a keyboard replacement for the newer 2017 model. The 2016 is defective by design and will keep doing that, I've had to send mine in for repair twice in eight months already. The 2017 keyboard is not perfect either but it's supposed to be a bit better.

Are you still in warranty?

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Welcome to the club, you're not alone. This has been happening all over, there's a 60+ page thread on these forums alone with people suffering from a malfunctioning keyboard. The only fix is to take it to an Apple store and insist on a keyboard replacement for the newer 2017 model. The 2016 is defective by design and will keep doing that, I've had to send mine in for repair twice in eight months already. The 2017 keyboard is not perfect either but it's supposed to be a bit better.

Are you still in warranty?
Thank you. Yes macbook is in warranty, today will give my macbook to Apple

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
Not sure if you know this but the new updated keyboard will not have the ALT over the OPTION key. There will be symbols above the control, option and command keys instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.