Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotics5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Hi,

I was deciding between getting the 13" Touch Bar (Intel Core i5-7267U) vs the 13" Non-Touch Bar (Intel Core i5-7360U). The i5-7267U is clocked at 3.1GHz while the i5-7360U is clocked at 2.3GHz.

I was looking at online Geekbench benchmark tests comparing the two processors so I could see exactly how much faster the touch-bar model is. However, I found that the 13" base model with the i5-7360U had higher single and multi-core performance numbers than its more powerful counterpart, the i5-7267U...

How is this possible?

Attached are the pictures of what I found.

Single Core:
Screenshot_20170803-105604.png

Multi-Core:
Screenshot_20170803-105434.png

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Hi,

I was deciding between getting the 13" Touch Bar (Intel Core i5-7267U) vs the 13" Non-Touch Bar (Intel Core i5-7360U). The i5-7267U is clocked at 3.1GHz while the i5-7360U is clocked at 2.3GHz.

I was looking at online Geekbench benchmark tests comparing the two processors so I could see exactly how much faster the touch-bar model is. However, I found that the 13" base model with the i5-7360U had higher single and multi-core performance numbers than its more powerful counterpart, the i5-7267U...

How is this possible?

Attached are the pictures of what I found.

Single Core:
View attachment 711424

Multi-Core:
View attachment 711423

Well, different tests may lead to different results. Let me give you an explanation which is by no means technical, but more of an educated guess.

The Core i5-7360U is a 15W processor with base clock rate at 2.3 GHz, but which can go up to 3.6 GHz (both single and dual core). The Core i5-7267U is a 28W processor with base clock at 3.1 GHz, but which can go up to 3.5 GHz, both single and dual core. So, while the Core i5-7267U has a faster processor at base clock speeds (most of the time), the Core i5-7360U can go faster when it is required (difference, though, is minimal, and the Core i5-7267U should be faster most of the times). In addition, the Core i5-7267U has a faster GPU than the Core i5-7360U.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Also keep in mind:
  • They battery for the TB is smaller by about 25% when battery life is measured (see notebookcheck review)
  • These CPUs may be able to go fast but the laptops are so thin and light that there isn't sufficient cooling to keep them going fast for long. They'll be throttled after a few seconds.
  • The TB has had a higher thermal envelope and faster GPU but the smaller battery means this is more than cancelled out.
I haven't had any serious argument to tell me to get anything other than a base model CPU with the nonTB biggest battery.

Why pay hundreds more for power you can't use ?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Also keep in mind:
  • They battery for the TB is smaller by about 25% when battery life is measured (see notebookcheck review)
  • These CPUs may be able to go fast but the laptops are so thin and light that there isn't sufficient cooling to keep them going fast for long. They'll be throttled after a few seconds.
  • The TB has had a higher thermal envelope and faster GPU but the smaller battery means this is more than cancelled out.
I haven't had any serious argument to tell me to get anything other than a base model CPU with the nonTB biggest battery.

Why pay hundreds more for power you can't use ?

The reviews I've seen show performance drops in the nonTB under stress because, as you say, the cooling is inadequate.

The Kaby Lake processor from the entry-level model has the designation Core i5-7360U and the base frequency for the two cores is 2.3 GHz, but the maximum Turbo Boost is 3.6 GHz for both cores. However, this speed can only be maintained for a couple of seconds. Apple removes the usual TDP limitation at 15 watts, but the two CPU cores quickly reach core temperatures of more than 90 °C, so they have to reduce the clocks.

The cooling solution of the MacBook Pro 13 is challenged by the high clocks of the Kaby Lake processor. Sustained workloads simulated by a Cinebench R15 Multi loop results in a performance drop.

The TB, with superior cooling, does not show the same drops.

The processor can maintain its performance under sustained workloads. A loop of the Cinebench R15 Multi Test determines a steady score after 20 runs; the only small outlier was probably affected by a background process.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Mid-2017-i5-Touch-Bar-Review.227154.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...017-i5-without-Touch-Bar-Review.234282.0.html

Last edited:

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Yup, summing up gjwilly's post above, but click on his notebookcheck.net links to read in detail:

• MBP nTB = lower wattage CPU, one cooling fan, higher max turbo speed, throttles under heavy load
  • MBP wTB = higher wattage CPU, two cooling fans, slightly lower turbo speed, sustains speed under heavy load
  • Light tasks such as web browsing, email, watching movies, might be faster benchmark-wise on the nTB because of the higher max turbo. Hands-on though, I doubt you'd be able to notice the difference between the two.
  • wTB would obviously be best suited for heavier tasks, but that depends on what heavy means to you.
  • Heat and fan noise could also help separate the two models.

Jamalogo10

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
I'm curious...

I noticed the TB MBP has two narrow, slits running vertically on the under paneling of the computer while the nTB does not. I under the TB needs to dissipate more heat but would it be advantageous to purchase a TB's under paneling and attach it to a non touch bar?

I feel like this would allow more heat to escape and may allow a slightly heavier load before throttling.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I'm curious...

I noticed the TB MBP has two narrow, slits running vertically on the under paneling of the computer while the nTB does not. I under the TB needs to dissipate more heat but would it be advantageous to purchase a TB's under paneling and attach it to a non touch bar?

I feel like this would allow more heat to escape and may allow a slightly heavier load before throttling.

I didn't know this - another design point that separates the two. They should have just shaved the front bottom like the MacBook 12" and dubbed the nTB the New MacBook Air instead of calling it a Pro.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm curious...

Those are the intakes for the cooling system. The TB has two fans that draw air in those slits and pushes it out the back. I dont think putting another hole where there's no air movement would really help with cooling the nTB.

Last edited:

Jamalogo10

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
Those are the intakes for the cooling system. The TB has two fans that draw air in those slits and pushes it out the back. I dont think putting another hole where there's no air movement would really help with cooling the nTB.

And the nTB doesn't have a single slit and yet it has a fan. Letting the residual heat escape seems like it may have an affect.

Great2bnate

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
After spending two weeks with the 12" retina mb 1.1ghz 2016 model, the machine put itself to sleep when outdoors in 80-90˚ weather. Without a fan, it's hard for a machine to keep up with Zoom screen sharing, Photoshop, and Chrome running at the same time. Perhaps with 13" nTB 2.3ghz 2017 with one fan might be enough to keep it cool under heavy use. I'd still consider the 13" wTB 3.1ghz with two fans, because I don't want to experience the machine lagging or shutting down under heavy load, when I'm in a client video conference. Do you guys think the CPU temperature for the 3.1ghz wTB is going to run cool enough to keep comfortable on your lap, or will it get hot too under heavy load? (heavy load is running Zoom Video Screen Sharing, Chrome with 15 tabs, and Photoshop with 15 artboards and 150 layers.)

Conza

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2018
Australia
I really really wanted, to get the nTB model. I wanted more battery, I wanted a lower CPU/TDP, and honestly I could live with the slightly declocked GPU.

What scared me away was the cooling performance, as others have mentioned in this thread already, and elsewhere on the forum, that a single fan in this new form factor doesn't really work properly, whenever the going gets slightly tough, with the TB model you have two slightly smaller fans which given the same load A. May not need to spin up at all (consider both the nTB models need to turbo to get up to 3.1GHz for example) B. When they do, there's twice the fans so they'll spin approximately* half the speed (they're smaller so it may be 60% of the speed required by the nTB model).

In some ways its a shame, if they made just TB models with all 5 processor, I would've gone for the lowest i5 model, because it would've been easier to cool a 15W TDP processor with the same cooling solution being used for a 28W TDP processor.

But they didn't, so I went for the lowest processor with the best cooling solution.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
I really really wanted, to get the nTB model. I wanted more battery, I wanted a lower CPU/TDP, and honestly I could live with the slightly declocked GPU.

What scared me away was the cooling performance, as others have mentioned in this thread already, and elsewhere on the forum, that a single fan in this new form factor doesn't really work properly, whenever the going gets slightly tough, with the TB model you have two slightly smaller fans which given the same load A. May not need to spin up at all (consider both the nTB models need to turbo to get up to 3.1GHz for example) B. When they do, there's twice the fans so they'll spin approximately* half the speed (they're smaller so it may be 60% of the speed required by the nTB model).

In some ways its a shame, if they made just TB models with all 5 processor, I would've gone for the lowest i5 model, because it would've been easier to cool a 15W TDP processor with the same cooling solution being used for a 28W TDP processor.

But they didn't, so I went for the lowest processor with the best cooling solution.
maybe try that speed holes:)

Last edited:

Conza

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2018
Australia
Don't really get it? The TB has intakes on the side of the device where as the nTB doesn't, so I'm guessing those are your "speed holes"?

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I’m ordering a nTB 2017 refurb MacBook Pro Friday as it is tax free weekend here in TN. The only “upgrade” is a 256GB SSD but otherwise base specs appear to be more than enough. I can’t justify $500more for the TB model.

Edit: It’s $90 more for the Touch Bar model.

Last edited:

Conza

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2018
Australia
Yes 100% it's worth $90. Basically if you just want a web browser/email viewer, very low power usage, the nTB model will probably be ok. Anything at all intensive, movie watching, any game (even web), any program that is not basic, get the TB because it has twice the cooling fans and has far less thermal throttling issues.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Yes 100% it's worth $90. Basically if you just want a web browser/email viewer, very low power usage, the nTB model will probably be ok. Anything at all intensive, movie watching, any game (even web), any program that is not basic, get the TB because it has twice the cooling fans and has far less thermal throttling issues.
This purchase will need to last 1 year in undergrad and at least 4 years in medical school. I can’t afford a 2018 MacBook Pro or else would do that but can make a 2017 refurb work. I’m likely going to stretch it out to get the TB model after reading many similar complaints of the nTB model.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
This purchase will need to last 1 year in undergrad and at least 4 years in medical school. I can’t afford a 2018 MacBook Pro or else would do that but can make a 2017 refurb work. I’m likely going to stretch it out to get the TB model after reading many similar complaints of the nTB model.

If I was you I would try to buy a 2015 MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.