Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blu-canary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Vermont
This afternoon I was listening to music on Spotify (playing directly from the built in speakers from the client) when my computer very suddenly made a loud mechanical beeping noise twice consecutively which scared that daylights out of me. Obviously this isn't a sound you want to hear coming from any modern Macintosh. According to my roommate, it did this once more (two consecutive beeps) while I was out of the room. There have been no more unusual sounds since the first incident.

Concerned something was failing, I ran diagnostics after rebooting. She passed all diagnostic tests leaving me with no answers as to why the beeping occurred.

Should I be concerned something is wrong with my MacBook? This is the first time this has happened. I haven't heard sounds like this from a Macintosh since I was at least seven. As far as I know this was not a local emergency alert sound.

(ALSO - I did replay the song twice to make sure the beeping wasn't a part of the song I was hearing, but the song played back as usual.)

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
This afternoon I was listening to music on Spotify (playing directly from the built in speakers from the client) when my computer very suddenly made a loud mechanical beeping noise twice consecutively which scared that daylights out of me. Obviously this isn't a sound you want to hear coming from any modern Macintosh. According to my roommate, it did this once more (two consecutive beeps) while I was out of the room. There have been no more unusual sounds since the first incident.

Concerned something was failing, I ran diagnostics after rebooting. She passed all diagnostic tests leaving me with no answers as to why the beeping occurred.

Should I be concerned something is wrong with my MacBook? This is the first time this has happened. I haven't heard sounds like this from a Macintosh since I was at least seven. As far as I know this was not a local emergency alert sound.

(ALSO - I did replay the song twice to make sure the beeping wasn't a part of the song I was hearing, but the song played back as usual.)
I'd ring Apple support ...

blu-canary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Vermont
Lil update: I very strongly believe that the beeping was coming from ADTpro which I downloaded and configured the day before I heard the beeps. I'm pretty sure I had left it open in the background while I went off and did my own thing. I had the audio connection.

Today I used the app to install proDOS on an apple iie i recently aquired thru auditory bootstrapping. The long tone that sounds just before the disk image starts playing sounds just like the beeps I heard which would pretty much explain everything? I'm just not sure why the ADTpro would just beep randomly like that without any kind of prompt.

Oh well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.