Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raquelitamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
Hi. I dropped my MacBook Pro 2017 and the logo baffle cracked. Also there's a dent on the aluminium. Now I'm scared the fall has damaged the screen (wishing it didn't). There's pictures of it below so you can see it for yourself.
What should I do to fix it? Replace the entire display or just replace the logo baffle?
Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-17 at 16.30.52.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-17 at 16.30.52 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-17 at 16.36.12.jpeg

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
That should work, if not try an exteral monitor macbooks are very sturdy!
i would put electric tape on the glass before doing anything first
and use the battery if the power port is damaged

raquelitamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
That should work, if not try an exteral monitor macbooks are very sturdy!
i would put electric tape on the glass before doing anything first
and use the battery if the power port is damaged
Thank you for replying.
So you're saying I should try to replace the logo baffle? I didn't understand the external monitor part

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Your monitor display could be damaged which needs replacing, for the meantime, you can use an external monitor if you need to backup or simply use the macbook pro Using a usb c to hdmi port
since the “bezel” is damaged and the outer case you should get a new display case.
or a new M1 if you have the funds.

raquelitamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
Your monitor display could be damaged which needs replacing, for the meantime, you can use an external monitor if you need to backup or simply use the macbook pro Using a usb c to hdmi port
since the “bezel” is damaged and the outer case you should get a new display case.
or a new M1 if you have the fund
is there a way of knowing if the display is damaged? it looks ok.. i want to know if it's possible to just replace the bezel or else i'll have to buy a new display which is really expensive :/

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
If your display is working than that is great!
(since i am getting info on what you typed)
down the road you will need a BEZEL to keep the display in tact, or get a macbook pro cover that covers the damaged areas.
i guess you have lucked out!

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Still becareful of that broken glass which can get into your macbook and Fingers,
ouch!

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is the display itself damaged? It's easy to see with the power on. You might see colors radiating out from that damaged area, often in a cross-hatch pattern.
If not, you were quite lucky.

Your damage is not what I would call the logo baffle. That's normally the interior support around that Apple logo on the back of the screen. The baffle part usually blocked light so only the Apple logo would light up when the lid was open. And, that was when the Apple logo still would light up.
I would call the area of your damage --- the trim bezel front logo glass,
Found that piece, so must be replaceable.
That Amazon page suggests that it should only be replaced by a "professional". I have never seen steps for replacing that peice --- but there it is. You really do need to check with power on, to see if the display LCD is also broken, as that will be considerably more expensive.

Reactions: MBAir2010

raquelitamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
If your display is working than that is great!
(since i am getting info on what you typed)
down the road you will need a BEZEL to keep the display in tact, or get a macbook pro cover that covers the damaged areas.
i guess you have lucked out!
the display is working fine. i'll probably replace the bezel. thanks for the advice :)

Reactions: MBAir2010

raquelitamc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
Is the display itself damaged? It's easy to see with the power on. You might see colors radiating out from that damaged area, often in a cross-hatch pattern.
If not, you were quite lucky.

Your damage is not what I would call the logo baffle. That's normally the interior support around that Apple logo on the back of the screen. The baffle part usually blocked light so only the Apple logo would light up when the lid was open. And, that was when the Apple logo still would light up.
I would call the area of your damage --- the trim bezel front logo glass,
Found that piece, so must be replaceable.
That Amazon page suggests that it should only be replaced by a "professional". I have never seen steps for replacing that peice --- but there it is. You really do need to check with power on, to see if the display LCD is also broken, as that will be considerably more expensive.
The display is not damaged. My only concern is the dent it has on the aluminium behind. Do you think it can be a problem? Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have a dent on the aluminum housing. Maybe that's all you have...
Do you get a light area there when your background image is all black (or very dark background)?
Or, do you get a darker area when the background is white (or very light)?
You MIGHT see what I call a pressure distortion on the display, and that's one way (dark or light background) to see if you have what you might call a "bruised" LCD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.