Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vaidas Matkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2020
Hi,

maybe someone has idea what is the problem? My Macbook Pro 2017 model no touchbar, 2 thunderbolt ports. Bought used HP USB-C G4 dock (not thunderbolt). It was with not original cable, but usb 3.1 gen 1 (i guess 5gbit), also i have gen2 cable (10gbit) and Lenovo original usb-c cable for my Lenovo P27h10 monitor. Problem is my Lenovo monitor works with all these cables and usb-c dock does not: when connected it detects usb hub, lan and etc, but no monitor is detected and same is with windows on bootcamp also. Tried Lenovo usb-c dock - same, Lenovo thunderbolt3 dock works instantly, but my hp dock also does not work with lenovo thunderbolt cable.
What i found out after many forums and firmware updates, that it "magically "starts to work, if i leave dock connected and do SMC reset, then everything is ok until disconnecting. I can restart to windows and macos without problems and everytime everything works. Then disconnecting usb-c or dock power and same, no monitor until SMC reset (sometimes monitor works but not ethernet adapter and then usb 2 hub is not detected).
But this same dock works normally with some asus laptop that has usb-c, not thunderbolt port (this laptop does not support pd charging).
I also have some cheap knock-off multi av adapter that is with vga output, and it also works... Is this some kind of SMC bug or hardware problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.