Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maviso5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
Hi All,

So recently got a Macbook Pro (2017) with Touchbar (Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3). I've had my Samsung screen a while (U28D590D) - 4k Screen. I've purchased the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

1)I've set the screens to mirror'd temporarily as I get some weird screen flicker if I don't.
2)I was expecting when I shut the lid down (I have keyboard and mouse via USB) for the display to be main screen but the Mac just hangs/goes to sleep (either green flicker on Samsung screen or frozen screen).

Can anyone comment or confirm behaviour on 1) and 2) above as I cannot get my setup to play ball currently.

Any info much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 13.34.25.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 13.34.25.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 521

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Although it shouldn't cause your Mac to freeze, using the USB-C Digital AV Adapter will limit you to 4K @30Hz. You should use a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable or adapter. The adapter you have is HDMI 1.4.

It might be an issue with the monitor not being happy with the 1.4 input it's receiving.

shatal

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Hi All,

So recently got a Macbook Pro (2017) with Touchbar (Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3). I've had my Samsung screen a while (U28D590D) - 4k Screen. I've purchased the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

1)I've set the screens to mirror'd temporarily as I get some weird screen flicker if I don't.
2)I was expecting when I shut the lid down (I have keyboard and mouse via USB) for the display to be main screen but the Mac just hangs/goes to sleep (either green flicker on Samsung screen or frozen screen).

Can anyone comment or confirm behaviour on 1) and 2) above as I cannot get my setup to play ball currently.

Any info much appreciated.
Did you connect the charger to the computer before closing the lid?

trueredsoxfan58

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
Although it shouldn't cause your Mac to freeze, using the USB-C Digital AV Adapter will limit you to 4K @30Hz. You should use a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable or adapter. The adapter you have is HDMI 1.4.

It might be an issue with the monitor not being happy with the 1.4 input it's receiving.

I have this monitor (both the U590D and U590E), The D model does not support HDMI 2.0, however it does support DP 1.2. I believe DP is a far superior standard and you are better off using a USB-C to Displayport adapter

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

maviso5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Kent
Did you connect the charger to the computer before closing the lid?
Yep
[doublepost=1515411535][/doublepost]
I have this monitor (both the U590D and U590E), The D model does not support HDMI 2.0, however it does support DP 1.2. I believe DP is a far superior standard and you are better off using a USB-C to Displayport adapter
Thanks, going to try a USB C to DP cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.