Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Hello, I have a new MacBook Pro 2018 15inch 2.6ghz 16gb, 512gb. I only received it yesterday but I didn't really get to use it and check it out that much yet. However, I've noticed today that it was warm when I touch my laptop on the top of the lid while it was closed (it is plugged in), then I checked the bottom part of it and I was so surprised that it was even warmer. I opened it and I don't have any applications running. Also, I downloaded system pal yesterday and I noticed that the fan is always on whether I use the laptop or not, I've tried to read about it but I've read in some forum that its normal that the fan is always on. is that true??

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Hello, I have a new MacBook Pro 2018 15inch 2.6ghz 16gb, 512gb. I only received it yesterday but I didn't really get to use it and check it out that much yet. However, I've noticed today that it was warm when I touch my laptop on the top of the lid while it was closed (it is plugged in), then I checked the bottom part of it and I was so surprised that it was even warmer. I opened it and I don't have any applications running. Also, I downloaded system pal yesterday and I noticed that the fan is always on whether I use the laptop or not, I've tried to read about it but I've read in some forum that its normal that the fan is always on. is that true??
That doesn’t sound right to me. However, there are operations the system can perform even with the lid closed, and perhaps it was doing these tasks with your new system, like backing up your photo library to iCloud.

Reactions: chabig

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
That doesn’t sound right to me. However, there are operations the system can perform even with the lid closed, and perhaps it was doing these tasks with your new system, like backing up your photo library to iCloud.

so I've researched about it and I've removed the enable power nap last night and left it overnight unplugged. to my surprise this morning my battery was still at 99%. I guess it was the power nap thats making my laptop warm.

Reactions: Alameda

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
so I've researched about it and I've removed the enable power nap last night and left it overnight unplugged. to my surprise this morning my battery was still at 99%. I guess it was the power nap thats making my laptop warm.
I’m gonna turn off PowerNap too. Thanks for the reminder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.