Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has anyone with macbook pro 2018-2019 experienced this kind of issue or perception?

• Total voters

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Dear friends i will be very happy if you answer and vote about the issue :(

i usually experience pixel flickering on my 2019, i9, amd 560x mbp. Flickering is like vibrating pixels on some areas and moving style (not always on a constant area) and it seems like that pixels have different hertz value than global screen. It is usually occurs especially when a blank document is open or web page with large white areas is open and look to white place. Sometimes it happens on bold dark texts with white or light color backgrounds. The level of flickering rises when look closer (15-20cm).

Closing truetone and autobrightness decreases the flickering level

Has anyone with macbook pro 2018-2019 experienced this kind of issue or perception?

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
Safari sometimes makes a flicker. Nothing else.

I first noticed it in Safari with a 2017 13" MBP I bought, took it back and got the 2019 base. It started to happen in Safari with this one too, but just now it happened with Outlook. I still have some time to take this one back.

But if I do I am buying a different brand. I have had enough of this.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
What kind of flicker you are talking about, something so obvious that blind can see or the kind you may see in the corner of your eye?

I have seen only once my Entry MBP 2019 flicker kind of a purple flash around the middle of the screen briefly (lasted like 1/4 second) 2 times in a row within one minute or so. I was scratching my head wondering what it was but I then realized it was just the time when my display enters night shift mode, so I though it must be that, but I'm not sure.

What I have noticed before already in this and my previous Air 2018 is that toggling on and off night shift causes often that there will be serious banding in gradient colors (especially gray scale ramps). Also switching thru different ICC-profiles often cause the same thing. And in my Pro I noticed True Tone also causes all kinds of banding issues. To me it looks like these panels are not real 8bit but some 6+2bit panels where they use dithering to allow it display all 16M colors and that combined with calibrated display profile that pushes the panels to do something they are not naturally capable of, causes this banding and all other sorts of visual errors. But colors are really natural in these, so hard to complain. Anyway I haven't seen in like past two decades any Windows machines doing this, but those are rarely as accurate in colors so maybe they just do not push the panels too much. I mean just go to Apple web site and see MacBook Pro page and look at the photos of the machine and that gradient light effect used around it, you see there is serious banding. Then do this with pretty much any decent Windows machine and there is none, just smooth gradients. You just need to do this in dim lighting to be able to see it clearly, bright conditions at shops are terrible for this kind of things.

Last edited:

hululu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
MBP 15" 2019 2.3GHZ 8 core i9/512ssd/16gb ram/560X

Love the mac, nothing to complain about

BUT

i noticed a split second distortion, like a graphic glitch in the middle of the screen, literally lasts half a second.

not sure why it happens, happened a few times, i believe safari only so far

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007

BUT

i noticed a split second distortion, like a graphic glitch in the middle of the screen, literally lasts half a second.

I have noticed this when shutting down my mbp on a completely black screen. Graphic glitch in middle of screen.

PC1967

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2016

BUT

I see the same thing on my 2019 13" 2.4GhZ i5 - only noticed it in Safari so far.

hululu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I have noticed this when shutting down my mbp on a completely black screen. Graphic glitch in middle of screen.

yes the graphic apple logo glitch is very common, ive seen it many times on different macs. Its like the back ground goes red or blut near the logo when you shut it off or turn it on

The graphic distortion im talking about is kind of a bunch of grey cloudy pixel popping all over the screen for a split second

kinda like the old CRT TVs when you had grey/black/white clouded pixel all over the screen when you were on an empty channel

TV_noise.jpg

like this, but obviously not as overwhelming

Also happened while i was in firefox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.