Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElijahGlo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
Bought a new 2018 MBP in Aug, already got issues with the fans failing not able to run at high RPMs. They constantly click every 20 seconds. This is the most highly spec'd MBP you can purchase and it's a truckload of S**T. What were they thinking of sticking an i9 in such a slimline body?

The Genius bar didn't know how to run diagnostics on a 2018 MBP, it's different as it doesn't have the older SMC but the new T2 security chip. It failed hardware diagnostics saying both fans needed to be replaced.

The problem is... There isn't stock for fans in the country it seems. I was told there is an 11 day turn around time once the replacement parts are on hand. It's been 5 days without any communication from Apple. This MBP was purchased under an ABN with AppleCare+. I called Apple and got forwarded to their American call center where I was told Apple was in its rights and really a big bully until I mentioned Fair Trading isn't like the American counterpart.

Is anyone else having similar issues with the 2018 MBP and fans? Is it just me or is Apple support not what it used to be?

Elijah

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Bought a new 2018 MBP in Aug, already got issues with the fans failing not able to run at high RPMs. They constantly click every 20 seconds. This is the most highly spec'd MBP you can purchase and it's a truckload of S**T. What were they thinking of sticking an i9 in such a slimline body?

The Genius bar didn't know how to run diagnostics on a 2018 MBP, it's different as it doesn't have the older SMC but the new T2 security chip. It failed hardware diagnostics saying both fans needed to be replaced.

The problem is... There isn't stock for fans in the country it seems. I was told there is an 11 day turn around time once the replacement parts are on hand. It's been 5 days without any communication from Apple. This MBP was purchased under an ABN with AppleCare+. I called Apple and got forwarded to their American call center where I was told Apple was in its rights and really a big bully until I mentioned Fair Trading isn't like the American counterpart.

Is anyone else having similar issues with the 2018 MBP and fans? Is it just me or is Apple support not what it used to be?

Elijah
No
And the i9 isn't any hotter than any other specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.