Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

am_macrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Apple released the new MacBook Pro 2018 with updated specs.

However, Apple released also MacBook Pro sleeves in 3 colors. The official price is 199 dollars for 15 inches and 179 dollars for 13 inches model.

Schermata 2018-07-12 alle 20.45.17.jpg

For more info click here: https://www.apple.com/search/Leather-Sleeve-for-MacBook-Pro

What do you think about it?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I've seen the 12" MB iteration in the Apple Store and was moved to tell my wife she should order a sleeve from Harber London instead. I cannot imagine the 13" and 15" versions are a substantial improvement.

defn

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2015
Gave in and bought the Midnight blue version for my 13" (Cheaper here at around US$15X), but still expensive compared to a generic sleeve.

Fit and finish is fantastic. Similar to the iPad Pro 10.5" sleeve that I bought last year. The leather and stitching are very solid and I don't think you can find another third party sleeve that fits so closely.

am_macrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Gave in and bought the Midnight blue version for my 13" (Cheaper here at around US$15X), but still expensive compared to a generic sleeve.

Fit and finish is fantastic. Similar to the iPad Pro 10.5" sleeve that I bought last year. The leather and stitching are very solid and I don't think you can find another third party sleeve that fits so closely.

Have you tried if it's compatible with MacBook Pro 2015 or previous model with same design? Usually, as for iPad Pro, the leather can be a little stretched.

defn

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2015
Have you tried if it's compatible with MacBook Pro 2015 or previous model with same design? Usually, as for iPad Pro, the leather can be a little stretched.

I haven't tried it, and will not try it on mine :D

The iPad Pro one can be stretched to fit the Keyboard Smart Cover, but from my calculations I'd be trying to stretch the leather by 2.6cm if I tried to fit the 2015 MBP in :eek:

Ermir444

macrumors regular
May 12, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Woolnut-Sleeve-MacBook-Pro-Retina/dp/B077H1L3DS
This does fit just as close, its better quality leather and costs about half the price.

defn

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2015
https://www.amazon.com/Woolnut-Sleeve-MacBook-Pro-Retina/dp/B077H1L3DS
This does fit just as close, its better quality leather and costs about half the price.

I'll buy one to try.

From the pictures though, the fit does not seem anywhere as close - maybe that's due to the wool felt interior. The sewing and the edges look cheap too, but that's just my opinion (though some of the reviews do mention the same).

This will probably provide greater shock protection should one need it.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I've seen the 12" MB iteration in the Apple Store and was moved to tell my wife she should order a sleeve from Harber London instead. I cannot imagine the 13" and 15" versions are a substantial improvement.
How well do the Harber sleeves fit? Could you hold it upside down without having the computer fall out?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
In my experience, they fit perfectly ... both 13” and 15” sizes.

Is holding the sleeve upside down part of your anticipated usage? If so, perhaps you ought to consider something with a closure of some sort. Mine is always in my briefcase or camera bag, and I confess I’ve never tried turning it upside down to see if the laptop falls out.

All kidding doing aside, I imagine the weight of the 15” would pull it out, while the 13” is snug enough that pressure on the sides would keep it in the sleeve.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
In my experience, they fit perfectly ... both 13” and 15” sizes.

Is holding the sleeve upside down part of your anticipated usage? If so, perhaps you ought to consider something with a closure of some sort. Mine is always in my briefcase or camera bag, and I confess I’ve never tried turning it upside down to see if the laptop falls out.

All kidding doing aside, I imagine the weight of the 15” would pull it out, while the 13” is snug enough that pressure on the sides would keep it in the sleeve.
Knowing myself, there’s a chance it’ll happen accidentally when removing the laptop from my bag.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
If you like 'chocolate' or 'grizzly,' I'm sure it is ...

As a matter of fact, I like the color of "chocolate" leather. I have a bag in so-called chocolate leather from Waterfield that I love. For now, I'll have to pass on the sleeve.

That said, just throwing another suggestion out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.