Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raffa Conde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2020
What happened is that I decided to set my Mac up as new, had some problems with my storage because of the 128GB model, so I did that and when I tried to erase the disk, it supposedly went through, I got the green check mark like meaning “successfully erased” then I noticed there was like 40GB of storage left, so it clearly didn’t delete everything at all, so I tried to do it again until the disk was completely erased, then I proceed to install the Catalina OS, and it just doesn’t show any Disk to install the software, even if I go to the corner where it says “StartUp Disk” nothing shows up, looks like it doesn’t recognize any Disk available, and I’m able to be at the recovery mode screen so that’s a good thing, because there’s no damage, and I never ever had any issues, I just bought it 3 months ago, it was everything literally perfect. Hope you can help me.
By the way, “Container Disk2” on the image doesn’t mount, I already tried that and it just doesn’t work.
And when I restarted it I got a spinning globe, and put my WiFi, after that it lasted around 13 min. Then I got the recovery mode again BUT, know it’s not Catalina what it’s trying to install, now it’s got Mojave.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
1. Boot to INTERNET RECOVERY (not to "the recovery partition"):
Command-OPTION-R (at boot)
You'll need your wifi password and it will take a while to load (spinning globe).

2. Go to disk utility and go to the view menu. Choose "show all devices" (although looks like you already have that option set).

3. Select the TOP line on the left (looks like you did that in the left pic above)

4. Click ERASE, choose APFS.

5. Erase the drive.

6. Quit disk utility and re-open the OS installer and try again.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.