Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
Hi.
After closing the lid on my Mac and reopening it a moment after, I had a black screen.
I could hear it was awake but no lights were on the keyboard or anywhere else.

After a day I disconnected the power to see if the Mac would start up after the battery had used its power – and yes it did and the Mac seems normal again. I do not know if the problem will arise again after it is closed down next time.

Can I do anything else if it happens another time? Sure I will have to let someone professional to take a look I guess.

Thanks for any insight.

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
Update: After shutting down for the night I openen the lid this morning and all seems to be normal. Good so far.

Eliott69

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2019
After closing the lid on my Mac and reopening it a moment after, I had a black screen.
When you close the lid, it takes a moment to "hibernate" the current status of the computer. Re-opening the lid during that process is not always recognised as "wake-up" trigger.
I could hear it was awake but no lights were on the keyboard or anywhere else.
Should you have fusion drive, that could have been the disk shutting down after "hibernation".

Reactions: Gutti

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I had this similar issue happen to my 2015 13" with force touch trackpad model. Where after I close the lid, and after I re-open it, the screen would remain black and won't turn on and sometimes won't even turn on. This was both on battery and also AC powered. They ended up replacing the logic board as when that happens there is a kernel panic, turns out it was one of the USB port that was the issue. After the logic board replacement, I never had this issue.

Reactions: Gutti

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
When you close the lid, it takes a moment to "hibernate" the current status of the computer. Re-opening the lid during that process is not always recognised as "wake-up" trigger.

Should you have fusion drive, that could have been the disk shutting down after "hibernation".
Thank you for the insight. This seems to have been my issue also – because I have not had the issue after this one incident. Now I am careful not to open the lid too quickly after closing it.
[doublepost=1567753660][/doublepost]
I had this similar issue happen to my 2015 13" with force touch trackpad model. Where after I close the lid, and after I re-open it, the screen would remain black and won't turn on and sometimes won't even turn on. This was both on battery and also AC powered. They ended up replacing the logic board as when that happens there is a kernel panic, turns out it was one of the USB port that was the issue. After the logic board replacement, I never had this issue.
Thank you for your reply. Interesting. In your case it was a hardware problem. Seems not to be in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.