Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

HiFidelity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2020
Hello, all!
I’m having an issue that I’m actually quite shocked by; I powered down my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, all was normal. Today, I press the power key and nothing happens.

when I plugged my charger into it I heard the sound as if it were charging. Other than that, I’ve had absolutely no luck pressing the power butting and it turning on or even making the keyboards light up. I’m mystified. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store anywhere close?
If so, is it open?
If so... I'd make an appt. for the genius bar and let them have a look at it...

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I had an issue that sounded very similar on my 2019 MacBook Pro.

Plugging in the USB-C cable made a charging noise, but that was about it. One thing I noted though was that when I tried to turn it on, the trackpad would 'click' when I pressed it. Does this happen to you?

In the end, Apple fixed it by replacing the logic board.

HiFidelity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2020
I took it to the Apple store near me and apparently Big Sur corrupted the machine., specifically mid-update and has disabled it from being able to power up, even at factory reset.

It’s been sent out for repair - hopefully it’s closer to a two week turnaround than nearly a month. Thankfully I have AppleCare+, otherwise I’d be out a brand new MacBook at no fault of my own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.